Moving data G5 to core 2 duo

Reaction score
Hello, New here.
Apple is replacing my old G5 with the new Imac due to some hardware issues. Apple Rocks! :Cool: The problem is the old machine needs to leave me before the new one will be shipped (understandable). I just connected a 500GB Maxtor Onetouch4 to save all my stuff until the new Imac gets here. Looks like the hard drive backups movies,music,photos and documents automatically. My questions are what other things should I be aware of that need to be saved manually? I'm trying to think of things like bookmarks but am afraid after the old Imac is long gone I'll be missing stuff. And My wife is set up as a separate user to keep her Itunes apart from mine but after backing up both users when I look in the drive I can only find data relevant to which ever user is in play at the time?
Thanks. I know I'm mostly a flashing 12:00 and hope this isn't too boring.
Matt
http://www.matthewdwalker.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
If you had any separate folders for downloads from special programs or something, you should save that stuff as well. Really, if you have the space, I'd just back up the entire Home Folder.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Discerptor. Your suggestion may have saved some stuff for me.
New machine here and I'm not pleased. No Appleworks!! We have many business documents made on the old G5 that this new advanced computer has no way of opening. And the migration assistant don't seem to work with my external drive. Looks like I'll be moving a piece at a time for a while and seeing what will open or not.
Thanks .. Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks the8thark.
We have pages but when we try to get it to open one of the old appleworks documents I get the message "file name is not a word processing document".
Working on getting a copy of Appleworks now. It Would be great if I could figure out how to make the old documents work in pages.
We also have Office 2004. Office seems to want to open my old apple works stuff but I can't seem to find the right combination. I'm getting nonsensical documents filled with unrecognizable symbols Has anyone ever had any luck with this route?
Matt

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.