Plug and go??

Reaction score
OK just got my 1st mac.
want to get it onto the internet.
do i just plug the ethernet cable into the broadband router and back of the mac?
then open the browser?

Reaction score
That depends on a few things.

Plug everything in, and if the connection doesn't sort itself out go System Preferences --> Network --> Ethernet and configure according to your ISP.

OP
nathannew2008
Reaction score
its a powermac G4 dual 450 with gigabit ethernet running 10.4.11 if that makes a difference

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You shouldn't need to change anything on your mac.

You just need to make sure the router is configured to connect to your internet provider - it's not mac specific - routers need configuring regardless of OS.

If it's been supplied by your ISP it may be pre-configured. If it's a brand new shop bought router you'll have got a quick setup guide to help you though the connection detection and entering a username and password.

OP
nathannew2008
Reaction score
I have several pcs and windows laptops running off of the router it has my username password etc setup.
I just did no know if it was like windows in the sence you just plug in and go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
In that case.... yes.... just plug in and browse away!

Reaction score
I got my first imac yesterday and just jammed in the ethernet cable (already hooked to my old router etc) and hey presto..no set up required!
Can I just say I LUUURVE that! Even my printer talked straight away without moaning..!

So much better than installation with Windows!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be fair if you'd have just plugged the cable into a windows machine it would have worked that way too. There's no install required on any client machine to connect to a router by ethernet.

The client machine just has to have a working ethernet port and your away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
To be fair if you'd have just plugged the cable into a windows machine it would have worked that way too. There's no install required on any client machine to connect to a router by ethernet.

The client machine just has to have a working ethernet port and your away.
However a printer is much different story with windows...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmmm I'd lay that blame with the printer manufacturers not windows.

all my windows machines can just plug into the network and use my shared canon printer my MacBook refuses point blank

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.