Any comcast email users here?

Reaction score
I'm using Comcast for email and it seems as though I'm having to continually enter my password for the 3 accounts I have Mail keeping up for me. Today, my first full day on the Macbook, I know that I entered my pw 6-8 times. I have email going all day, as I'm sure many of you do...

It's a bit of a pain, and I've not experienced this with my PC using Thunderbird.

Maybe there's a setting that I can set for it to stop it from doing that, but it's not jumping out at me...

Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks! The transition continues....:D

Regards, Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I'm using Comcast for email and it seems as though I'm having to continually enter my password for the 3 accounts I have Mail keeping up for me. Today, my first full day on the Macbook, I know that I entered my pw 6-8 times.

It's a bit of a pain, and I've not experienced this with my PC using Thunderbird.

Maybe there's a setting that I can set for it to stop it from doing that, but it's not jumping out at me...

Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks! The transition continues....:D

Regards, Ken
When it asks you for your password it should have an option to save it to your keychain. If you enable that then it should not ask you anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
You could always use their web based version of email as well. Or setup a GMail account and read it through that (what I do now). Then you can access it anywhere you like. I know this doesn't address your problem directly, but just a different idea to consider.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Check your settings for frequency of mail downloading. If it is set to collect your mail too often, you will be prompted for your password. Try setting for a minimum of 5 minutes between checking.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Same here. Just started up a couple of days ago. I have a feeling Comcast is having some issues with their mail servers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 Inch
I am having problem's with comcast as well. No matter what I have checked in mail etc. it keeps asking for the password. I have it check mail every 15 min. so that is not it. I think they may be having issue myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
I just began having this same problem as well, so it is definitely a Comcast mail server problem... Oddly enough, since I have had my password saved in my keychain for a long time, if I cancel the password prompt without entering my password, it often will still fetch the mail. Other times, I have to actually enter it. I thought I was having a problem with Mail, so I reset it, but the problem persists. Glad to see that it isn't anything on my end.

Hopefully it will get fixed soon.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great input. I did save all the pw's to the keychain, but that did not help.

I'll be on it all day tomorrow, I'll see how it goes...

Regards, Ken

Reaction score
Follow this thread for your settings but use "MD5 Challenge-Response authentication" in both incoming and outgoing ports. Fixed the problem for me.

OP
K
Reaction score
Great! I just switched it.... also, it was good to know that the reason it doesn't happen all the time, is that it's dependent on which server is "hit" when checking the mail for your accounts.... that made a lot of sense.

Hopefully this will sort it out. It's a minor annoyance, but one I'd rather not have to deal with!

Thanks so much for the help!

Regards from Baltimore, Ken

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.