Display problem

Reaction score
The Radeon 9800 in my G4 Dual 1G has died on me (failed fan) so I refitted the Nvidia that came with the mac originally but I now get no video. I have tested connections and the display works with a startup cd but not the internal drive, am I missing something, is there a software problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You probably need to reinstall the software for the G4. Sounds like the nVidia can't find its drivers. Assuming you have the original disks that came with the machine.....

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks, i have been trying to reinstall from my 'Tiger' cd but so far every attempt has failed. I have a second internal drive with a clean 'system' installed but cannot get the Mac to start up from it without a display. I am beginning to suspect that the superdrive is also giving me problems. I do have the original discs but I always get the message 'cannot install over newer system'. I guess I keep trying as it's the only way I can run legacy software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have seen failed fans, particularly on 9800's, fry the logic board. From the troubles you are having does sound like a hardware problem. By chance was it a flashed PC card?

OP
L
Reaction score
It was a Mac Edition and the fan failed, just out of warranty!!. The weird thing is that the display will work occasionally when started from cd (that is with the original Nvidia) and sometimes from the internal drive but then after another restart the screen will be black again. The Mac itself starts up and I am able to access all of my files over my network, the problem being I have a fair amount of legacy software and peripherals which will not work with my MacPro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Tiger and Leopard shouyld both have the drivers for the nVidia card. if you need to install these from the install DVD use a program such as Pacifist. Maybe the AGP slot has been fried do you think?

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for that Harry, but it is getting more weird. The display is working randomly and as yet I have been unable to identify the cause. The most recent attempts to start from cd failed and required startup with mouse down to eject disc but as the drive opened so the display worked and functioned normally. This has happened three times. So far have been unable to start from any useful system dvd and therefore cannot reinstall a clean system. I have had a look at 'Pacifist' but do not understand how it would help.

OP
L
Reaction score
G4 display problems

Thanks for all your help Harry,
Although I hate to throw out a Mac that gave sterling service for nearly six years, decided I've wasted enough time trying to sort this out and have found 'Sheepshaver' will enable me to run my legacy software on the Mac Pro.

All the best and thanks again Les.

PS. I still have fond memories of the five years I spent working in Sydney during the '70s.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.