• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple to dominate in the american household by 2013

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alienware,mbp,imac(3),blackjack,Hp running macintosh,
J.P Gownder a analyst for Forrester made a prediction in the august 2008 edition of Mac World. Saying that apple will dominate house holds by 2013. He predicts that Apple will start a in home installation service. Also that they will release network enabled digital photo frames and clock radios that stream images and music.

This articles belongs to Mac World i did not make any predictions stated in this article.

To read the full article turn to page 26 in your August 2008 Mac World magazine

OP
natenmaste
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alienware,mbp,imac(3),blackjack,Hp running macintosh,
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB, 320 GB, OSX 10.7.3; TC - 500 GB; iPhone 4S; iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I'm surprised Gownder still has his job if anyone's money actually relies on his predictions. Let's go through the problems with this:

1. Apple's market share in the computer realm is lower than 10%, and the number of people that have Apple TVs is even less than the number of people that have Macs. Unless Mr. Forrester considers a home having an iPod as being dominated by Apple, there will be no home domination anywhere in the foreseeable future.

2. Installation service... what? One of Apple's weaknesses has always been that as a relatively small computer company, they've been unable to offer the on-site services Dell and other competitors do. This isn't going to happen.

3. Digital photo frames in GENERAL aren't even popular or growing in popularity by an appreciable amount. What makes this guy think Apple will even touch that field until it shows it can be very profitable for them? As for clock radios... really, no one's going to pay the Apple premium for a clock radio of all things, and Apple knows this. Furthermore, thanks to "Airtunes," a lot of stereo centres that act as radios already can stream music.

I've never subscribed to Mac World or even planned to, and the fact it carries a blog-quality article like this only makes me glad I've never had to read it.

Reaction score
As for Apple TV I just picked one up while getting the new Iphone I have to say if Apple makes the move to make apple TV into a DVR there maybe a good chance that sales will pick up. But picture frames I agree who wants to pay more for electric to see photos? With Everything going up in price and the economy going south I think apple may start to slow down as most in the tech field conserve to weather the down turn in the markets. I would have to say that prediction is a unwise one with all the questions about Steve's health and who is going to take his place, Coupled with the stock going down.

Reaction score
I think it can happen given Microshaft's lame operating system and the new one has no promise ether, one of the main reasons I plan to jump to Mac. I just don't see it happening by 2013, but it will happen as Apple has a lot of market share to gain. I wish Apple was more serious about gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Curious as to what he means by dominate. Does he mean that a majority of households will have an Apple product in their home?

In that case having an iPod would suffice as having an Apple product.

Reaction score
Curious as to what he means by dominate. Does he mean that a majority of households will have an Apple product in their home?

In that case having an iPod would suffice as having an Apple product.

He says Mac, that means the imac or Macpro or Macbook/Pro/Air. Almost a year after I had switched to Mac, my super skeptical "PC" older brother asked tons of questions already regarding my Mac.

You see, if he's not looking into buying one, he wouldn't have risked loosing his face (it's an asian dude's thing that Americans/Europeans wouldn't understand) asking for my advice--I'd told him to switch since G5.

Macs have become more important than "loosing face" among us, I think the prediction is coming true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB, Bootcamp 3.0
1. Apple's market share in the computer realm is lower than 10%, and the number of people that have Apple TVs is even less than the number of people that have Macs. Unless Mr. Forrester considers a home having an iPod as being dominated by Apple, there will be no home domination anywhere in the foreseeable future.

Yeah, you are right. Only about 10% of people have macs...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 800MHz PowerPC, 768 MB SDRAM, 10.4.11.
Spot the dell ^. And recent firgures show that macs are still only about 15% of the market, students are more inclined towards macs for some reason in my experiance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
J.P Gownder a analyst for Forrester made a prediction in the august 2008 edition of Mac World. Saying that apple will dominate house holds by 2013.

Well dominate is a relative term without statistics. I guess if Mac had 50% or more of the home sales in 2013 then you could say it was dominating simply because of forward momentum. However, most homes would continue to have what they had before - which will be PCs. It would take 3 or 4 years of 50%+ market share in sales to dethrone the PC.

Domination of a market sector isn't really what I would want to see though. I think Apple's market share is low enough to be precarious right now, so I'd like to see it grow to perhaps 10% of the market. Growing beyond 10% or so might change the Mac landscape and community in ways people would not expect or like. ie, be careful what you wish for - you might get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Yeah, you are right. Only about 10% of people have macs...

It's a well-known (and advertised) fact that Apple is in the lead of the pack on college campuses, i.e. among a select and financially privileged few. I don't see how that affects the fact that their actual market share is less than 10%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
With Everything going up in price and the economy going south I think apple may start to slow down as most in the tech field conserve to weather the down turn in the markets.

They may slow down a bit, but Jobs has gone on record saying that Apple will ride the downturn by putting more money into R&D, he believes Apple can innovate its way out, it has plenty of money in the bank, and if Apple's competitors cut back, then Apple will be ready for an economic upturn with a range of new products already developed. That policy worked after the 1990s dotcom bubble, Apple hit the new century with the iPod and a brand new OS.

AS for market share, the figures are largely anybody's guess, it depends if you mean worldwide, USA, overall share of share of the consumer market. AS things are going, Apple is still gaining a lot in the consumer market (where consumers actually choose themselves what they buy), lets see if Apple can manage to grow fast and remain the company we love.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
It does not really matter how big their market share is. As long as they make great products that we use and enjoy, who cares? There are so many other companies to invest in if you are interested in that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
It does not really matter how big their market share is. As long as they make great products that we use and enjoy, who cares? There are so many other companies to invest in if you are interested in that.

And if Apple was just worried about making a product "we use and enjoy" and not worried about market share, people would not be investing in them. Apple is a company. A business entity. Apple is not your friend. Apple is there to make money regardless of whether you like it not. There were a lot of bad decisions in their past and Jobs has the company turned around and making some great progress.

If you want him to focus on making you happy and not making machines and software that appeal to the masses, I'm sure he'd be happy to throw all his money away and tinker on a one off product in his garage.

The iPod exsist to make money, not be cool. Same for the iPhone, and every other device. They just happen to put out products that do appeal to a wide range of people including and image appeals to a lot of upper class people.

I they didn't care about marketshare an fell from 8%(Is that the current figure?) to 3%, they'd probably lose a lot of money which in turn drives R&D and allows them to put out new products. Who cares about market share? Apple cares about market share.

The thread on Apple's marketshare:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116257

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (17" Unibody, 2.93GHz, 8GB DRR3, 320GB 7200, Anti-Glare Screen)
Clock radios and digital photo frames? Come on.

The days of the clock radio are numbered. I for one haven't used an alarm clock in the last couple years, my cell phone does a much better job.

And I've never seen people going exactly crazy for digital photo frames. It's kind of like an expensive screen saver if you ask me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It's a well-known (and advertised) fact that Apple is in the lead of the pack on college campuses, i.e. among a select and financially privileged few. I don't see how that affects the fact that their actual market share is less than 10%.
Just whom do you think will be making major computer purchase decisions in 10 years?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just whom do you think will be making major computer purchase decisions in 10 years?

Given the state of the economy and the job market, I'd say the business-savvy finance students, all of whom use Windows PCs. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You'd be surprised.. my wife.. the MBA student isn't the only one with a mac. Then again, I'm constantly told how those of us in development don't use them either, and I am not alone. BTW market is up for us, we're selling product internationally like hotcakes ;)

Now personally, I don't see apple going after the mid-range market at all, so I doubt they'll ever be the #1 maker out there. People want quantity after all. But their market gains year to year are more impressive then anyone elses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.