G5 Ram

M

mauly

Can you use third party ram chips in the new G5, or is it Mac only Ram?

thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The G5 uses either PC2700 or PC 3200 DDR SDRAM so you can certainly use 3rd party ram. I don't even believe there is such a thing as Mac only ram.

OP
M

mauly

so, why is the ram so expensive? at apple.co.uk, its £799.00 to take it up to 2GB! I've been told it would cost just over £200 if you shop around!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
well a couple of things. i am not positive of the whole conversion process with dollars and pounds but in the US it is 300$ for each stick of the more powerful ram. so two gb adds up to about $600 and then apple adds some for installation and then all of the apple products will be more expensive in the UK then in america. you may have been told you can get 2GB for 200 pounds but you are not getting gb sticks of ram you are most likely get 4 512 ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i think its rediculous apple charges for installation of RAM. especially on the tower, it so easy to do. i can understand if they charged for changing out the internal memory in the iMac, but in the G4 or G5 tower? rediculous

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.