Intall OSX 10.4 on my HD

Reaction score
Ive been trying to install OSX 10.4 on my WD hard drive for some time now. its a 160gb WD ide hard drive. I was wondering if anyone can explain how I can install the OS on my hard drive externally using this: POWMAX SATA/IDE TO USB 2.0 ADAPTER/CABLE KIT. When I try to install OSX 10.4 my mac recognizes the HD but it says it cannot install the OS on to the HD, it has a red caution sign on the bottm right corner of the HD Icon in the installation process. Does anyone know why? the HD is for my cube, I tried replacing the old HD for the new HD and when I press and hold down the C button after the intro "chime" it does not read the dvd and goes to a flashing folder mac/? icon but when I reinstall the old HD and press down the c button after the "chime" it reads the OS DVD and proceeds to the install process. Anyone know whats going on?

Reaction score
If I'm understanding you correctly, changing hard drives causes the computer to not find the CD/DVD drive, yes? In this case, you should verify that the jumpers are correct (hard drive should probably be set to slave or cable select). I usually press the ALT/OPTION key, because sometimes the computer is very picky about me pressing C at the right time. Doing this will show you all available boot options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Ive been trying to install OSX 10.4 on my WD hard drive for some time now. its a 160gb WD ide hard drive. I was wondering if anyone can explain how I can install the OS on my hard drive externally using this: POWMAX SATA/IDE TO USB 2.0 ADAPTER/CABLE KIT. When I try to install OSX 10.4 my mac recognizes the HD but it says it cannot install the OS on to the HD, it has a red caution sign on the bottm right corner of the HD Icon in the installation process. Does anyone know why? the HD is for my cube, I tried replacing the old HD for the new HD and when I press and hold down the C button after the intro "chime" it does not read the dvd and goes to a flashing folder mac/? icon but when I reinstall the old HD and press down the c button after the "chime" it reads the OS DVD and proceeds to the install process. Anyone know whats going on?

You've given good information except for two things:
1. What file format is on the new WD drive? For MacOS it needs to be HFS+.
2. What are you using as your OS source drive ie. is it another computer or is it an external optical drive?

I think you'll find that you can't install OS on an external HD via an adaptor cable, it has to be firewire I believe. But then you appeared to have covered that issue by putting the old HD back in - but back in to what?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.