just bought a macbook

Reaction score
I just bought a macbook with 2.0GHz core2duu, 1gb ram.

basically, whats its max? And the proc will be faster than my dell 2.0Ghz right? cause of the 2 duo. otherwise i can easily onsell it.

And how do i format my external HD to work on mac?

dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe you purchased the low end model of the MacBook line? It should take 4 Gb of memory (2 x 2 Gb modules). And yes it will be faster than your Dell. :D

As for the external hard drive, it depends on what you're going to use it for. Backing up with Time Machine, format the drive as HFS+. To share files with Windows and OS X, probably FAT-32 is best since OS X can read\write to FAT-32. If the external drive is large enough you can partition it so it can be used for both purposes.

Regards.

OP
davenz
Reaction score
it's not the new one its about a year old, i've been told its max 2gb ram but i, not sure if a agree as it has two slots. My HD is 250GB and i want to be able to write and read with both windows and OS X

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. I thought from your first post it was purchased new. If it's a year old, then yes it will only accept a maximum of 2 Gb. That would be 2 x 1 Gb modules. (Two slots)

The 250 Gb hard drive is large enough for you to partition to two partitions. One partition for backup (HFS+ format) and the other for sharing files. (FAT-32).

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.