volume issues/volume control not responding

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
Hi i have an ibook g3. when i try to press the volume keys to either raise or lower the volume nothing happens, not even the pop up white volume thing. also, when i try to adjust the volume through the menu bar it shows it with the three sound wave lines, but still no sound comes out, and when i click on the icon again, the volume slider is right where it was before i previously adjusted it. here is a link to my video on youtube that outlines the problem http://www.youtube.com/user/jclark769361174 (just play the only vid). what could be causing this? thanks he

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did the volume keys work before or is this something that just occurred? I notice during the YouTube video you mention that it was purchased off eBay or did I hear wrong?

In any event it appears your sound module on the G3 has gone south. I'm not sure it's something you can repair yourself. Hold on a minute while I check....

OK, I'm back. Looks like the sound in card is user replaceable. Check here:

http://www.ifixit.com/iBook-Parts/iBook-G3-12-Inch-DC-In-Board/IF150-011

I looked it up for the 12" model but it should be the same for the other models. If you feel you can do the repair yourself you might want to give it a try. The sound in board module is not expensive. Before you do anything though, you might want to get a second opinion from someone who is local to you.

Regards.

OP
justin_clark93
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks chscag!! you are the first person who has not tried to beat around the bush with an answer!! i have sent the computer to the ebay company so they could "reinstall the OS", and almost undoubtedly it will still have the problem when it comes back. if it does i am going to ask if they will give me another one, or pay so i can replace the sound card, or maybe they could, but i know they wont. just one more question: why do the brightness keys not respond? thanks, justin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
In system preferences there is an option under "Keyboard and Mouse" to disable those buttons unless you hold "Fn" down...

OP
justin_clark93
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
srry NPuter, but that is DEFINATELY not the case. it is hardware related, but NOT the keyboard, because if the brightness keys r pressed, it wakes the computer up from a screensaver, but does nothing to the backlight brightness itself. wat could be going wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
srry NPuter, but that is DEFINATELY not the case. it is hardware related, but NOT the keyboard, because if the brightness keys r pressed, it wakes the computer up from a screensaver, but does nothing to the backlight brightness itself. wat could be going wrong?
Yea.

It sounds hardware related based on how the speakers do not even work...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.