I play games a lot of hours a day, will this effect my macbook long time?

Reaction score
I play games a lot of hours a day, will this effect my macbook long time?

I play World Of Warcraft up to many many hours a day, the fan makes a slightly loud noise obviously over the duration of my gaming.

But i was wondering, if I'm playing this much every day, will this effect my laptop at all shot term or long term?

I am pretty sure it won't, but i just want to confirm that it would be ok to do this without any possible effects?

Thanks

Reaction score
Technically it could effect component life. depending on how hot the unit is getting.

However it is designed to get hot and the fans adjust accordingly, to dissapate such heat.

You could be safe and get a notebook cooler as some heat is designed to be disappated by the case of the unit(think the bits that get hot underneath)

However keeping your laptop on has possitive and negative effects. for example

Your harddrives mechanical components have a finite life. so your pc being on constantly will have an adverse( albeit it very hard to truely notice ) effect on your hdd.

On the switch side, Silicon components ( mainly the CPU ) do not like heating and cooling cycles as they marginally shrink/expand which causes chip creeping and then can break down due to this.

So, in conclusion yes using your macbook will effect its life time. But you would have to be exceptionally unlucky for it to occur in the time that you hope it to last.

Dont worry about it enjoy your laptop, it will cut out if it gets too hot.

If you use it on a desk there is nothing stopping you purchasing a easy laptop cooler contraption to put your mind at rest.

Enjoy:p

OP
S
Reaction score
Technically it could effect component life. depending on how hot the unit is getting.

However it is designed to get hot and the fans adjust accordingly, to dissapate such heat.

You could be safe and get a notebook cooler as some heat is designed to be disappated by the case of the unit(think the bits that get hot underneath)

However keeping your laptop on has possitive and negative effects. for example

Your harddrives mechanical components have a finite life. so your pc being on constantly will have an adverse( albeit it very hard to truely notice ) effect on your hdd.

On the switch side, Silicon components ( mainly the CPU ) do not like heating and cooling cycles as they marginally shrink/expand which causes chip creeping and then can break down due to this.

So, in conclusion yes using your macbook will effect its life time. But you would have to be exceptionally unlucky for it to occur in the time that you hope it to last.

Dont worry about it enjoy your laptop, it will cut out if it gets too hot.

If you use it on a desk there is nothing stopping you purchasing a easy laptop cooler contraption to put your mind at rest.

Enjoy:p

Thanks for the reply.

So you think it will be ok and should just keep going with no fear?

Reaction score
If I were you I would go ahead and buy a cooling pad. Better safe than sorry and will help your fans from working so hard. When I play I actually turn on a 4" fan from walmart to keep the computer cool and seems to work just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.