Best way to sync my Macbook with my Mac Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Sorry again for asking what might seem a newbie question!

I has just setup my macbook with a new HDD and RAM and I am now looking for the best solution for syncing it with my mac pro. I am looking to sync the following items:

- Itunes Library
- University and Work Document Folders
- iPhoto Library
- Address Book, Calender and Emails (best to use mobileme?)
- DVDpedia Library

The macbook and mac pro are not on the same network but they will be come October.

What is the best method to keep my macs in sync with eachother?

Thanks again for your help

Reaction score
in your spotlight, try typing "migration assistant" something will pop up, that COULD help you tranfer files.. if not.. bring it to an apple store, OR try mobileme?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, macbook, iphone4S, ipad2
With MobileMe (I am a user) you can automatically sync your contacts/email/ical etc. You also get an iDisk which can be made to act like a mounted disk on your computers but will update with the 'cloud' so that if you alter a document on your iDisk on say your Macbook, the changes will automatically be pushed to the iDisk on your Macbook Pro (it's not instant but takes about 10mins) I use it and find it very effective. As far as the photo/dvd library goes - I am not sure I have ever found a satisfactory way to do this. If you can live without the whole libraries on the move, you could store them on an external hard-drive connected to your home network, meaning that they were accessible from both?

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Hi guys, thanks for your help. I have tried mobileme for a few days now and I like it.

I came across something called chronosync which I might try over the weekend. Things like my libraries I only need to sync one way. Mac Pro > macbook as my mp3's and DVDs are on the mac pro so that should be easy enough (one would hope) its just a case of syncing my work documents, which are all on its own HDD which might makes things easier, so that if I work on a document at work, when i come home i can do a sync so that i can continue working on it on the mac pro

Ill let you know how i get on with chronosync =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, macbook, iphone4S, ipad2
You can use the iDisk that came with MobileMe for your work docs. In the setting panel go to MobileMe->iDisk and make sure that 'iDisk Sync' is 'ON". You will then see that your iDisk appears as a mounted drive on your finder. Put any work docs in here that you are currently working on (and as it stores them as a local doc they will work fine/fast). When you are finished click the little sync icon beside the iDisk in the finder and all your recent changes will be uploaded to the cloud (it will do this every 15mins itself). When you go home (assuming you have set up your iDisk sync as described) just open up your iDisk on your MBP and hey-presto all the most up-to-date versions of your files will be there! If they are not, just click the sync icon and they sure will be!

Hope that helps!

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi sam, thanks for your help. with iDisk I am one step closer to trying to acheive my goal.

I was hoping to use chornosync to auto sync my itunes, iphoto and dvd pedia library to iDisk, then on the macbook do the same to sync the libraries from iDisk to my hard drive. but as i only have 10gb on the iDisk i am unable to do this.

Any other suggestions on how to sync my macs would be most appreciated

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE: For anyone trying to do a similar task as me. This is my solution:

Connected my mac pro and my macbook via firwire with the macbook as a target disk.

Transfered my itunes, iphoto and dvdpedia library over to my macbook (took about an hour, over 200gb of stuff)

I then transfered my documents to my iDisk

Using chronosync,

I setup a scheduled task for, whenever the macbook volume is mounted on my mac pro, chronosync will monitor both targets for changes. Any changes detected will be copied to the opposite target.

This way... if on my mac pro I add some new albums to my itunes library, new photos to iphoto and new dvds to my dvdpedia list, chronosync will transfer the changed files over to the macbook when its connected.

The same goes with any documents

I also setup a schedule to run every 2 hours for my documents on the macpro and the documents on the idisk. Again, chronosync will monitor both targets for changes. Any changes detected will be copied to the opposite target.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.