Charger Overheat?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would just like to add that I have probably owned (between the wife & I)...over 10 MacBooks & MacBook Pro's (with an equal number of chargers)...and have never had an issue (fingers crossed).

And ALL of these MacBooks and MacBook Pros were purchased used...which means that theoretically all of the chargers could have been abused by previous owners before I got the computers/chargers...and I've still had no issues (fingers crossed)!;)

Unless your computer or source of electricity is faulty in some way...improper handling can be the only source of issue. You may think that you are handling the charger carefully...but if you are on a 4th charger...that itself is proof that "something" is out of order:

- computer has an issue
- issue with the electricity source (are your electrical outlets grounded...is the electricity "dirty"). "Dirty" means large fluctuations in the voltage or amperage.
- or the chargers are being mishandled.

If mishandling is the issue...it only takes one "incident" to cause damage. Treat that charger like it was a couple of raw chicken eggs!;)

Good luck with that 4th charger,;)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't want to take sides here and I'm not ready to blame it on Apple, but, I'm one of those that has to replace chargers.

Have never had a charger last longer than about a year with my '06 MBP - at least 7-8 chargers purchased for it. Am on the 3rd for my '11 MBA. A couple just died. Most of them have had the issue of the outer casing separating from the connector where it plugs into the Mac. I've used genuine Apple chargers, tried 1 el cheapo (it didn't last 3 months) and now buy used/repaired from OWC - they seem to last as long as any of the "new" from Apple chargers. And I try to replace them as soon as I notice the outer casing beginning to separate.

Meanwhile, my wife is still using the original on her '07 MB.
I doubt that hers has been unplugged from the machine 30 times in 6 years.
Mine probably get unplugged double that in a month.

I don't know what the deal is, but I've been into electronics everything for at least 40 years and have never had to replace any type of adapters, cables, or chargers for anything the way I've had to replace them for my Macs nor seen the number of reports of others doing the same. I have never owned a non-Apple notebook and I do see my friends with varying brands of Windows notebooks have to replace their chargers - although, not with anything remotely close to the regularity that I do.

For me, buying a charger once a year is cheaper than the time it takes to maintain a Windows machine and use any type of paid AV software.
I don't check the connections and clean them - I should probably start doing that and see if it makes a difference.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Have never had a charger last longer than about a year with my '06 MBP - at least 7-8 chargers purchased for it. Am on the 3rd for my '11 MBA.

I have never owned a non-Apple notebook and I do see my friends with varying brands of Windows notebooks have to replace their chargers - although, not with anything remotely close to the regularity that I do.

Sounds like you had some really bad luck (or I've had some really good luck)!

I will certainly not say that the power supplies Apple sells for their laptops/notebooks are perfect:

- the Magsafe connector is great
- the way the power cord seperates from the power supply is great
- you can use the "nub-plug" if you don't need as much length

...but the way the magsafe cable is designed where it enters the power supply is absolutely AWEFUL! These power supplies have been out for close to 6+ years now...you would think that Apple would have redesigned it long ago!

Almost all Windows laptop power supplies I've seen...are much more durable/robust (at least from a physical durability/abuse standpoint).

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
After that one soaks in, I'll tell the rest of it.

Have to admit, I am not ez on these cables. Probably 80%+ of my use I'm sitting in a recliner with it plugged in. It gets moved back and forth from lap to one arm of the chair to lap to other arm to lap to side table... Consequently, the cable pretty much stays bent where it meets the connector.

Between moving it around a lot, the dog jumping on the chair, the magsafe is a great feature. Pretty sure my notebooks would end up on the floor quite often if not for that.

While I've never had to replace any other cables as often as this one, I've also never owned any that take the abuse these do either. While I'm replacing them once a year, my best guess - that magsafe cable has been yanked off of it at least 350 times - maybe more.

Hence, why I can't take sides one way or the other. For my use and considering my wife is still on her original cable now 6 years later, I really can't blame Apple for mine needing to be replaced.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.