Which iMac?

Reaction score
I have a 2 GHz MacBook (Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM) and it often stops playback in Logic/Garageband/Pro Tools LE, you know the deal, using plug ins and whatnot, but to the point that I can't even run Guitar Rig 3 and Melodyne is slow progress, in Pro Tools this is.

I want to get a Desktop Mac, to stop this, my MacBook is perfect for everything I do live, but I'm trying to build up a portfolio of production stuff.

Just wondering which iMac I should buy, I just don't want to buy the iMac, get it home and then run into the same problems. I think the 2.66 GHz, with 2GB RAM is the best one I can afford, is it going to be fast enough?

Thanks.

Reaction score
There isn't that big of a processor difference between the two 20" models. It would be better if you got the 20" 2.4 Ghz with base configuration and then just max out the ram yourself. Or if you need the 256 MB video memory just get the 2.66 Ghz and max out the ram yourself again. Don't buy extra ram from apple anytime. Upgrade it yourself, its really easy.

Let me know if that helped you out.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking about just getting the 2.4 GHz with 4GB RAM, definately not from Apple, I'm not made of extortionate RAM money, haha.

I want it to last though, I think the 2.66 GHz would definately last a bit longer, especially with the 256MB Graphics.

Thing is, this will also be my girlfriend and I's shared desktop too, which means it'll have Windows on it as well as the odd game, because I'll be selling my desktop PC to fund it.

The priority is audio production though, of course, but we're only 19, I have to think about it lasting at least a few years I think.

I'm so torn between not really having enough money for a more powerful one and wanting one that will still be useful in the future.

Anyone know when they're upgrading the iMac again?

Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking about just getting the 2.4 GHz with 4GB RAM, definately not from Apple, I'm not made of extortionate RAM money, haha.

Haha good choice.

I want it to last though, I think the 2.66 GHz would definately last a bit longer, especially with the 256MB Graphics.

It should last no matter what. But if want the graphics for the games get the 2.66 Ghz model.

Thing is, this will also be my girlfriend and I's shared desktop too, which means it'll have Windows on it as well as the odd game, because I'll be selling my desktop PC to fund it.

If you are playing games then definitely go for the 2.66 model and get 256 MB of memory, if your finances support it. (I'm repeating myself....lol)

The priority is audio production though, of course, but we're only 19, I have to think about it lasting at least a few years I think.

It will last, don't worry about it. But surely get Apple Care b/c computers are computers of course.

I'm so torn between not really having enough money for a more powerful one and wanting one that will still be useful in the future.

Or you can wait if you want b/c whenever they upgrade macs (i don't when they will, nobody knows that except Apple) they always go cheaper and better like they have been for the past 2 years.

Anyone know when they're upgrading the iMac again?

Nope. Only Apple knows.

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.