DVD Burner wont burn. help!! Please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac intel core duo 2 GHz 160GB HDD
ive got a 17" imac intel 2ghz and i just finished a video project and i came to burn the disc and it kept on coming up with an error saying "medium key error" this is with toast titanium 9. so then i tried to burn some files on to a dvd with finder and it said "laser error" are something so i don't no what's to do with it can anyone help me please thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess I need to ask.... Does your iMac have a Superdrive that can burn DVDs or is it a drive that can only burn CDs and read DVDs? Post back.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a super drive ive burnt dvd before using it. it burns cd no prob but dvd nope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Have you changed the brand of dvd recently or are you continuing to use the dvds that used to burn successfully?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's a super drive ive burnt dvd before using it. it burns cd no prob but dvd nope.

OK. First try cleaning the drive lens. Also do a test burn with a different brand of media if you can to see if that makes a difference.

The optical light and sensing circuitry to burn DVDs requires more power and is usually the first to go out on a combo Superdrive. Burning CDs uses a lot less power which means that the optical light has probably diminished. The drive more than likely needs to be replaced.

If the machine is not still under warranty you might consider replacing it yourself or it might be less expensive to purchase an external burner.

Check here for prices on a new drive:

www.ifixit.com

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah ive change the dvd disc brand and it's the same so ill just see about getting an external dvd-rw drive and then ill save up to get a new super drive. Thanks for your support. By the way can you get a new drive for your mac to read blue- ray disc's? cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
ill just see about getting an external dvd-rw drive and then ill save up to get a new super drive.

You don't need to do both. Get yourself an external Pioneer dvd-writer that'll deal with +R, -R and Dual Layer. The 115D has good reviews.
http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/pioneer-115d-internal-20x-sata-dvdcd-writer/ for specs.
Put it in a combo USB-Firewire 800 enclosure, and that'll see you right for a few years to come.

Pioneer also have Blu-ray drives: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Shop/DVD-Burners/Blu-ray+Drives

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.