• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

important question about the best G5

F

fabio

hi guys

like you probably already read, i've ordered a G5 2*2.5Ghz in august, but didnt get it. delivery problems.

so, fact is, that somewhen in january is a apple expo (or something like this :) ), and it's possible, that there will be new G5 presented.

so, do you think on january new powermac (not imac, emac, or whatever) G5 will be released??

cause if, i'd abort my order, and wait for the newer one.

it would be stupid, if i buy the old mac, get it also in january (i dont think it will be delivered this year), and some week later, newer powermacs are presented, and the one i've got, is much cheaper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
theres no way that theyll release a new g5 so soon after the release of the g5 imac, it'd be in direct competition with eachother.

OP
F

fabio

hm why not'??
the iMac is more a consumer produkt, while the powermacs are more "pro" products.

but, i've looked at some rumors, and there was no mention on a new powermac, so.

can some other confirm (or at least give a reason, why not), that on jan are NO newer G5 releasd.

thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
OP
F

fabio

okey, i canceled my order for the G5 2*2.5 Ghz

i'll wait 'till januar, and if the introduce new G5, i think the 2*2.5 Ghz will be cheaper, in about the range of the 2*2Ghz now.

do you guys think this could be??

cause if you look at the buyers guid from macrumors, they say, that propably januar new models will be releasd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
theres a reason why that type of info is posted at macrumors and not mcnn, its probably not true, ie a rumor. if I was you, just get the dual 2.5 g5, or wait and be disappointed come january. I have friends that work for apple and tell me when everythings coming out and whats coming out, so far NO ONE at apple, including developers know anything as far as a new g5 or other model mac being released in january.

OP
N

nsrii

Macman said:
theres a reason why that type of info is posted at macrumors and not mcnn, its probably not true, ie a rumor. if I was you, just get the dual 2.5 g5, or wait and be disappointed come january. I have friends that work for apple and tell me when everythings coming out and whats coming out, so far NO ONE at apple, including developers know anything as far as a new g5 or other model mac being released in january.

Have your friends said anything about possible price drops in January? I'm more interested in getting lower prices on existing models rather than worrying about a new G5 model, personally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a few apple reps and sales people have mentioned price reductions on the powermac g5 line coming soon, not in january, but soon enough. since you were looking at the dual 2.5 ghz g5, Ive noticed lately that everyone thats ordered one has waited for months beore getting it if its bto as opposed to a stock g5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
one, and a very close friend of mines uncle is part of the dev team.

OP
R

RobDreugan

It doesn't matter what or when you buy your G5. Within 6 months to a year there will be a faster G5. I wouldn't get too hung up about it, because they are all great machines.

I've got the dual 2.0 and I have no doubt this computer will last me at least for another 4 years. I bought the dual in oct of last year and even though the new 2.5 is out, I don't regret this purchase one bit.

It's fast, upgradable, plenty of slots for ram, and it's only going to be stronger once all programs are running at 64 bit.

I doubt you'll see a new dual G5 until fall of next year. And I think that's pushing it.

OP
F

fabio

yes, that could be, but if you buy a G5 now, and just two weeks later the SAME machine is about 800francs cheaper, you just feel punk'd

Reaction score
I don't think there would be a new G5 comming in January. Simply Because they are (or supposedly) comming out with a new PowerBook line. I don't think they would be working on 2 machines comming out in the new year. The G5's are really fast now. You think they'd make a dual 3Ghz or something? naw....

Just my opinion though.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Looks good for the xserver line.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.