changing persmissions in mass

Reaction score
Hello all - really need some help please.

I have been swapping files about between three machines as they are now going to be used by different users. I now I should have done this in a cleverer way but have gone around it **** about *** and have come a bit unstuck.
My problem is that I moved all users files on a PowerBook G4 running 10.3 to the shared folder, set up the new user and deleted the old users. One of the folders I moved containing files was a particular user's iPhoto library the user was called John. when I tired to burn all the items to CD I don't have access to the files in that folder so cannot copy them. I have got info on the main folder and changed permissions so that all members can read and write and I am the owner which is fine but I need t apply the same permissions to the hundreds of sub folders. I have tried clicking "apply to enclosed items" but this does not work.
I thought I had heard of some software for changing permissions of large volumes of items but can't find anything on google. Can anyone offer any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
open terminal.

sudo chmod -R 775 /path/to/files

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.