New switcher here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Hello everyone ::waves::

I just purchased my first mac ever last night on the apple website. Needless to say I couldn't sleep cause I kept thinking about the awesomeness that is about to ensue.

My G/F has a Macbook and ever since I started using her laptop, I've wanted one.

So the day finally arrived when I took the plunge. I've been working in Windows workstation support/IT for 3 years now and I must say I have come to loathe Windows XP and especially Vista.

Anyhow, the macbook I bought only comes with 1gb of RAM. I was looking to upgrade to 4gb. I'm assuming it only has 2 slots so I'm limited as to what I can get. I looked on newegg and tigerdirect but neither carried a 4gb set.

Anyone upgrade their macbook to 4gb wanna share where they purchased it and for how much?

Reaction score
everyone I've talked to recommends Crucial.com. Last time I checked, it was $103 for the 4 gig...

Regards, Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Congrats on your purchase.

And for ram. Just pick any store (not apple) of your choice. Hunt around for a bargin. You'll need:

200-pin PC2 5300 (667Mhz) DDR2 SO-DIMM

And since you have only 2 ram slots. You'll have to get 2x2GB of that. Also for the brand of ram. I went for Kingston and have no troubles at all. But others here have recommended OWC and Crucial. Just hunt around for a good price on those brands. Look for the 2 GB separately rather then a 4 GB set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, macbook, iphone4S, ipad2
Man - I was just about to come on and proffer crucial.com as the best place to get your RAM - darn you for beating me to it....I almost had a nice distraction there and had to make up for it by writing this instead.

OP
tkim
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats on your purchase.

And for ram. Just pick any store (not apple) of your choice. Hunt around for a bargin. You'll need:

200-pin PC2 5300 (667Mhz) DDR2 SO-DIMM

And since you have only 2 ram slots. You'll have to get 2x2GB of that. Also for the brand of ram. I went for Kingston and have no troubles at all. But others here have recommended OWC and Crucial. Just hunt around for a good price on those brands. Look for the 2 GB separately rather then a 4 GB set.

I didn't really think about that..getting 2 of the 2GB sticks instead seperately rather than that 4gb set. It may be cheaper that way! I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be much difference either way. Thanks for the suggestion! :D

OP
tkim
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Grrr

My macbook won't be here till next tuesday :( I regret not getting expedited shipping.

In the meantime I've been reading everything I can about Leopard and I just bought some RAM.

Ended up getting some G. Skill ram for newegg for $69.99 shipped.

If anyone else is interested:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231135

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.