• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

next generation ipod nano

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
I Just found this in one of my RSS feeds:

next generation ipod nano to be taller/

Looking at the artists rendition, I was inspired to do one of my own and address one major niggle of mine with the recent fat nano design; the click wheel.

The click wheel on the recent nano I find to be a bit on the small side and fiddly to use. So here is my rendition of what the wider screened iPod could potentially be.

The two side scrolling bars that I dub the 'click-bars' (ingenious, no?) have the forward, back, play and menu buttons on the tops and bottoms and there are enter buttons on both sides of the screen for added accessibility.

The click-bars would function similarly to how you scroll with multitouch so you can slide your finger slowly up and down or give it a flick.

It's a very crude rendition, but I think the click wheel is becoming more of a hindrance to the functionality and design of the nano. If they make it any smaller to accommodate a more desirable form factor it'll become nearly impossible to use by people like me with clumsy fingers.

Anyhow, what do you guys think?

NEW_POD.jpg

Reaction score
I was thinking the nano wouldnt change it would just go up to 16GB but seeing as they have change them every year since 1G they probably will

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB, 320 GB, OSX 10.7.3; TC - 500 GB; iPhone 4S; iPod Nano
that thumbnail you posted looks pretty sweet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook, Ipod Touch 8GB
that looks pretty awesome
if they sold that i would buy that :O looks sooo pretty

Reaction score
that looks neat but honestly I don't think it would function well. I imagine having to hold it with two hands, like a game controller, so I can touch the buttons in all four corners. If I were holding it with one hand only (like most people do with an iPod) I probably would find it cumbersome to stretch my thumb across the length of the iPod and back again every time I wanted to change a track or pause/play. Pretend you're holding it in your hand and try to move your thumb to all four corners... gets kind of annoying after a few seconds right?

The wide screen definitely looks cool though :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz MacBook White 2GB RAM
OMG NO.

The Nano is perfect for working out. I have a Touch and wish I'd chosen the Nano with my new Macbook. You cannot beat the convenience of the original design. The Touch idea is really cool and fine for a lot of situations, but in the car or on a run or when trying to sleep, it doesn't really work out as well. A simple volume change is a hassle sometimes.

Reaction score
^ i agree with you, i wish the touch has the same volume controls just like the iphone, its a hassle to do a volume change in the car..err.

OP
johnnyluu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Oh well, back to the drawing board. I still think the click wheel is too small on the Nano and Apple should come up with something new for the next version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 800MHz PowerPC, 768 MB SDRAM, 10.4.11.
The iPods are becoming more and more basic in my opinion, i'm one for style personally and the look is getting dated.
Your Artist rendition is very good and I like to think that Apple will take note and start going in a new direction (like with the touch).
On a side note my old B&W iPod 20g m1040 has just packed in after god knows how many years, aside from being annoyed I was quite impressed at its life span.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz MacBook White 2GB RAM
You value style over functionality? It's a portable music player; it's supposed to be made for convenience. I'd gladly trade my Touch for the current Nano at this point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 250gb
I think the links picture of what the new nano would look like was ****** but urs would be pretty sweet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06GHz .. 2Gb RAM .. 500Gb HDD .. 512Mb 8800GS .. iMac
It's a very nice mock-up design you have there, but I can guarantee Apple will not want to change the original design to it. The click wheel has been with iPod's from the very stop, and unless they're all going to go touch-style (which I hope not), then they'll keep that design.

I will agree that on the latest iPod's the click wheel's are no where near as good as they used to be, on the Classic's there is a definite sensitivity issue and with the Nano it's way too thin IMO.

:Smirk:

Reaction score
Theres no way that would happen because I dont think Apple would Abandon the click wheel that is pretty much a trademark for the iPod. But who knows maybe Apple will go a different way this time around

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned this one yet:

new-nano.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/23/kevin-rose-unearths-redesigned-ipod-nano-digs-for-more/

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/01/hands-on-with-hamas-ipod-nano-4g-case-at-ifa/

My question, assuming these are legit, is how the curve of the screen would affect glare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Some one is good with photoshop ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I don't see how it's so special. iPod touch has raised the bar, and I'm assuming that they'll end up costing the same. For that you might as well buy a Touch for the same cost, with more memory and internet connection!

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned this one yet:

new-nano.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/23/kevin-rose-unearths-redesigned-ipod-nano-digs-for-more/

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/01/hands-on-with-hamas-ipod-nano-4g-case-at-ifa/

My question, assuming these are legit, is how the curve of the screen would affect glare.

That's 2 years in a row that the "photoshop fake" turned out to be legit. I'm starting to wonder if the iPhone will end up being the last in the long line of of great Apple secrets.

Reaction score
I absolutely loved 3rd gen Nano design..I think they should have kept it and just added new colours...its silly imo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.