iPod Touch, wrong time to buy?

Tao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz MacBook Black 4GB RAM Mid 2008
Should we expect updates in September? The free iPods with the MacBooks make me think so.

I want an iPod Touch, but i'm hoping for a price drop in the 32GB model, £330 is a little steep for a portable device, for me personally.

Anyways thoughts?

Also people with iPod touch, do you regret purchase or is it a great device?

Reaction score
i avoided the ipod bandwagon for years...finally i broke down and bought a 16 ipod touch, not only is it nice to have a ton of music at work (i'm usually in a noisy server room) but if your a geek the ipod touch is FANTASTIC.
You are basically walking around with a BSD/UNIX computer in your pocket, you can do so many crazy things!

I've got a full unix command terminal, VNC, nmap, ssh, webserver, you name it. its a mini computer!

OP
T

Tao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds great cyberfed!

However all this sounds great but I don't think i'll use it for that, although linux does sound great would I need to jailbreak it in order to install linux? I don't want to do that, just asking.

But yeah, I would generally use it for music, iCal (will be very busy starting in September so would be great to sync with my MacBook, is this easy to do and worthwhile? web browsing (can you literally search all sites or just a few?), video playback and apps.

For this usage would you still recommend it?

Seems a tall asking price and like you I would only purchase minimum 16GB! Does look and sound great though, i'm going looking at one tomorrow although I will only buy late August...

Thanks for your reply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white 160GB. iPod nano... old school one.
I'm going to wait to buy mine. Because last year they had an iPod nano give away with a Mac and then they came out with the new iPod nano. So, I'm thinking they're doing the same thing. If not, no harm, no foul. Better safe, than sorry.

I would like to get the 16Gb as well. Use it for iTunes, iCal, and social networking.

OP
T

Tao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats interesting Heart/Mac, any idea when in September Apple have their next conference? If all rumours/speculation are/is going to be true, we're going to see a new MacBook, MacBook Pro and a new iPod Touch; thats one busy Apple. But you're right, no harm in waiting, I am tempted to wait until September, but all I really think will happen is a price cut.

The iPod Touch is too new, in my opinion, for a re-design. But they are very pricey, although it's a price i'm willing to pay with their great design, I am a bit annoyed that they have a back that scratches like iPods though, I wish it had the same back as the iPhone, I hate scratches.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'd expect the 8 gig to be discontinued in September and the 16gig to drop in price to match the old 8.

The new iPhone is the same as the old one, but with a couple of extra features. The iPod is unlikely to change, as it's always been the iPhone without the phone part. So I'd expect nothing but a tiny aesthetic change at most (apart from the price drop).

Reaction score
I say wait, especially if your buying late august. I say at minimum there will be a price cut. Maybe more memory or new features. I think it'd be crazy for them to not drop the price before holiday season, it pretty high now.

OP
T

Tao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When is September should I expect Apple to change the range?

I'm aware they're due a conference, can anyone tell me when?

I'd love for the shiny back to disappear for a similar iPhone back.

That would make the Touch a must buy for me. I am itching to buy one but I will wait, anyone know any dates???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
When is September should I expect Apple to change the range?
Your guess is as good as anyone else's.
I'm aware they're due a conference, can anyone tell me when?
The hardware-related MacWorld Expo happens at the beginning of each calendar year, usually in January.
anyone know any dates???
Yes, Apple knows the dates... and they aren't going to share them with anyone outside of Apple. The only answers you will get are pure speculation and conjecture.

Reaction score
My guess is that the only "new" thing about Touches will be the addition of a 64gb version. Other than that, I hope they don't change anything else, except maybe the back... but NOT PLASTIC!!! The brushed aluminum back of the 1st gen iPhone will be great given the fact that the current chrome back is a scratch magnet, kinda the same as plastic.

Brushed aluminum will be awesome...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
Wait... and...

I think you should wait... just to be safe.

I also have a question. If I have wireless internet in my house, will I be able to access it through my iPod touch? I'm a little confused...

Reaction score
Yeah, the Touch is a portable wifi device. It works on any wifi network, it's awesome. It's just like an iPhone, but without external speakers, camera and phone.

OP
T

Tao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the feedback, i'll wait until September then i'll purchase.

Think i've just run into some extra money so I may even spring for the 32GB. I'll wait though, I thought Apple did a conference every 3 months, my bad.

Has Apple called press conferences in the past to release products?

I can't see any re-designs coming without a conference.... i've only been looking at Apple for over a year though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz Duo Core, 4GB DDR3, 250GB HD, nVidia 9400M
More than likely with the new iPhone out the price on the Touch will drop drastically. I'm waiting till December to pick one up. That'd be my suggestion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.