Installing Tiger / No DVD Drive

Reaction score
I'm upgrading a G4 Quicksilver (with no DVD drive) to run Tiger and have the DVD disc image saved on my iPod as a .cdr and a .iso just to transfer it to my Mac.

I'm copying it over to my desktop now but I'm not sure of the next step.
Can I use the disk image on my desktop to install? Or can I (hold option) force a boot of my iPod to run it from there?

Any help or advice would be great.
Thanks!

Reaction score
If you have a 6-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable and a second Mac, you could probably install with Target mode, but this seems to occasionally result in a fairly unstable system (unless the Macs are identical, or at least really close).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I'm upgrading a G4 Quicksilver (with no DVD drive) to run Tiger and have the DVD disc image saved on my iPod as a .cdr and a .iso just to transfer it to my Mac.
I'm copying it over to my desktop now but I'm not sure of the next step.
Can I use the disk image on my desktop to install? Or can I (hold option) force a boot of my iPod to run it from there?

I don't think you can use that disk image to install on to the startup volume of your Mac. If you've got sufficient money for the upgrade, why not buy and install a dvd R/W drive in your G4 and burn the disk image to a disk? It's a cheap option. The original Apple Tiger dvds may be dual layer, can't remember exactly, so that's another factor to consider.

Reaction score
The Tiger install DVD is just one layer. Leopard on the other hand...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.