Time Machine drive - Can I store some of my other files on it in another folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
On my Time Machine drive, there is a folder called "Backup.backupdb", can I make another folder to put my personal krap in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Of course you can make a folder any time you please and put what you please in it. I doubt what you are asking though is that simplistic, so a little clarity on what exactly you want to do is needed.

OP
MacBookMe!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Of course you can make a folder any time you please and put what you please in it. I doubt what you are asking though is that simplistic, so a little clarity on what exactly you want to do is needed.

Sorry, I know it was a stupid question.
I just don't want to put a crapload of movies on it, then find out that Time Machine erased them :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I know it was a stupid question.
I just don't want to put a crapload of movies on it, then find out that Time Machine erased them :p

So you want to put a subfolder of your own making under Backup.backup.db? Hmmm... Well Time Machine eventually does erase older backups once disk space runs out, but I doubt it would erase a user-made folder in that root folder. To be safe though, I think I'd leave it alone and make your folder outside of TM's folder(s).

OP
MacBookMe!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
...a user-made folder in that root folder. To be safe though, I think I'd leave it alone and make your folder outside of TM's folder(s).

Sorry, I mean in the root directory of the TM drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I mean in the root directory of the TM drive.

Oh yes.... you definitely can. I use mine for a larger repository of items besides the TM backups.

Reaction score
Are you sure it will keep this folder safe? Cause right now I only use Time Capsule as a Wifi external drive... and I use an USB drive now and then for saving my iMac and MacBook Pro files on Time Machine.

And I would like to use Time Machine with Time Capsule for both my iMac and MBP and also some personal files in folder on my Time Capsule :)

Regards,

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You should be fine. Just don't put the folder inside the Time Machone backup. I have an external drive attached to my Time Capsule and it holds both the Time Machine backup and some other information. when the driv gets too full Time Machine will delete its oldest backup.

When backing up to the Time Capsule or a drive attached to its USB port, the backup is stored inside a sparsebundle file. One advantage to using an external drive attached to the Time Capsule is that when the drive is unplugged and directly connected to the Mac it can be seen and often repaired in Disk Utility.

C

chas_m

Of course, anything you put on the TM drive will not be being backed up, so be aware of that.

Reaction score
So, if I decide to use my Time Capsule for the Time Machine of my iMac and MacBook Pro, I also can use my Time Capsule for copying personal files, let's say I create a folder called "movies", then if I copy some movies in the folder, they will be safe.

When Time Machine won't have enough space for backing up, it will erase its own files into the Time Machine folder, and it won't erase the folder I created?

Regards,

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.