Random bits of static coming out of speakers when connected to Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4Ghz Intel Dual Core, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD
So I had to do a hard reboot on my macbook last night after I encountered a problem with Firefox that did not allow me to either force quit or restart from the apple menu.

I dunno if that's at all related to the problem I'm now experiencing, but after the reboot I've noticed random static noises coming out of the speakers connected to my Macbook. I've tested it by plugging the speakers into other devices, but no static. I can't seem to find the root of the problem, maybe there's a spec of dust inside where you plug in the speakers, I dunno. But could someone tell me if there may be something wrong with my soundcard now?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No sound card in your MacBook, just an integrated sound chip. Do you have a set of headphones you can plug in to test with? If you also hear random static from the headphones the output jack may be loose or as you say, dirty. Firefox crashing should have nothing to do with the static.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4Ghz Intel Dual Core, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD
thanks for the reply... I'll give it a test, if the output jack is loose or something is there a way to fix it, or is it a manufacturing defect?

edit: ok I have tested it with my iPod ear buds and there is no static to be heard. It must be a problem with the way the jack from my speakers fits into the output jack that is causing it to be loose. this puts my mind at ease because I guess it means there's nothing wrong with my beautiful new mac :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The sound output jack is difficult to get at since you would have to remove the keyboard assembly. And about the only way to tighten it is from within the machine. If the machine is still under warranty or Applecare, let them do it if that's the problem.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.