Unpartition the Hard Drive

Reaction score
Hello all you mac experts out there! I need some advice. I just bought a macbook (intel dual core, used) for my daughter for college, and it had the hard drive partitioned. We dont want it partitioned and would like to unpartition it -- what is the easiest/best way to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Mike

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
did you get the install disks with it?

if so, you will probably be best off doing a clean install. i believe you can choose the partitioning at that point.

someone else may want to confirm that though, i've only done it once with a brand new HD.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes, we did get the install disks, and did a complete install from scratch, but didn't see that as an option to unpartition the drive?

Mike

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
disk utility in the applications/utilities folder may do it. i've done it with external hard drives that way, but not with my boot drive. it may let you do it and then act as though a new drive was installed.

disk utility is fairly intuitive to use, in the partition section, you would just choose 1 partition (if it lets you).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.