constant freezing

Reaction score
My ibook started freezing repeatedly. By freezing, I mean the screen stays as-is, and I cannot move the mouse tracker and the clock even stops working.

Sometimes it doesn't even get past start up before it freezes, and sometimes it stays on for as many as five minutes. I do not hear any unusual sounds and the screen does not go black. Everything just freezes.

Previously (six months ago), I had the black screen of death, and I inserted a shim on top of the video card which has solved that problem.

Ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might want to dig back into your iBook and see if the video card is firmly in place. Freezing could be related to video, memory, or even the hard drive.
Be sure to make a backup of the entire system before doing anything else.

I found lots of discussion on the web related to the same problem you're having. Do a Google search and read thru the threads to get some idea of what might be causing the freeze ups.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you. I plan to do that tonight. I was thinking this was a different problem because the symptoms are different (instead of black screen and constant fan (what I got before), I'm getting freezes now).

I'll post my results tomorrow (or tonight, if I get it working at home).

Unfortunately, because I cannot operate my machine, I am unable to back everything up.

Reaction score
I am having the same problem, please help! the only difference is that when my computer freezes it does not unfreeze, and when i pull the plug, it says "system shutdown because mac osX quit unexpectedly" i will be checking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
here is what i did to my ibook to fix it rather than use a shim and it has been working without problems now for a long time.

hope that helps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.