avi to mpeg

Reaction score
hi i have some avi movies and they dont copy to a disc from my macbook only a mpeg file copied so i need a programme that will copy avi's or convert them from avi to mpeg and a freee programme please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
What kind of disk are you trying to make?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Like skaheadpunk says it would help to know what kind of disc you're trying to create but in the interim have a look at this post for a list of popular tools for video conversion.

mrplow

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
or convert them from avi to mpeg and a freee programme please help!

Try any of these

mpeg stream clip
ffmpegx
visual hub
isquint

or any other, there are loads of conversion apps out there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
what do you mean what kind of disc am i trying to create? i want to copy movies to disks

Well a movie sat on a hard disk is just a file so you can burn it to any disk that is big enough to fit the file on. Just like any other type of file.

You can do this in finder, with Toast, and many other bits of burning software.

Alternatively you could be wanting to create a VCD, SVCD, DVD, Blu-ray disc or mixed mode data and video CD..... the list goes on.

I suspect what you want to do is convert a movie (xVid, divX, mkx etc) to a format that can be written to a standard single layer DVD so that you can play it back on an off-the-shelf DVD player. But I don't know for sure.

The format of the original file and the type and format of disc you want to create will determine the software you'll need to use.

All of that said the link I posted previously lists software to can convert most video formats to most other video formats. e.g they can take man_walks_dog.avi and convert it into the the correct file structure and video types for burning to a DVD-R with the burning software of your choice

HTH
mrplow

OP
D
Reaction score
yeah i want to convert the file to mpeg and play it on a dvd player..really confused on which programe to get .. the file is in my music and is 700 mb unfortunetly the cd-r disc is only 80 mins long but if i got to copy the film would be the main thing..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have to use CDs then you'll need to make an svcd to maintain any kind of quality. But to do that you'll need split it over 2 discs

It would be better if you could use a blank DVD-R it can hold the whole movie

Use ffmpegx to convert your file using the DVD preset.
Then burn the audio-ts and video-ts folders to a blank DVD using Finder.

HTH

OP
D
Reaction score
thats why i got confused with the program.. do i just move folders to a disc or something? please give me step by step instructions..so that ffmpgx program is the best? sorry spelt the program wrong
reply soon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the ffmpegx page has some how to tutorials on convering to svcd

But I'd buy yourself some blank DVDs

Convert using the DVD preset

Put the blank in you mac and it will appear in the finder sidebar

Drag the 2 folders that ffmpegx created over to the disc in finder and click the burn icon (looks like a black and yellow warning sign) next to the disc name

OP
D
Reaction score
so i press on video ? what video codec do i select? is that all i have to do then press convert?
plz help

OP
D
Reaction score
ah thanks so i just follow the guide? if i have any problems i'll contact you, thanks once again :)
so it doesnt show the movie when its encoded and i just drag the folders on a dvd disc and it will play on a dvd player?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that's right. Once complete the progress box will say finished.

By default the output files will be in the same folder as the source

OP
D
Reaction score
hi i copied to the format theres the folder with the movie name i click on it & theres the audio and video _ts do i copy both the files to the disc or just drag the file with the name of the movie in it ? the file with the name i click on it & theres the 2 files.. audio_ts is empty but the video one isnt
reply soon

OP
D
Reaction score
im stuck on this bit and i dont have toast can i just drag them onto a disc without using a copy program? i dont know which file in the video_ts to preview

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.