sawtooth + sonnet vs. quicksilver?

Reaction score
looking to buy an older g4 and have narrowed it down to either a sawtooth with 1ghz sonnet upgrade or an 800mhz quicksilver.

all else being equal (same price and i've plenty of ram, hard drives, usb 2.0 cards and a dvd burner to stuff in them) which would be the better buy?

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

The Quicksilver has faster system bus speed, 133MHz v 100MHz, a faster graphics card system, 4X AGP v 2X AGP. Suggest save pennies and buy a 1.25DP MDD or later model to run Leopard. The MDD in that model has a 167MHz system bus speed.

All comes down to the bucks available and have used a Mercury Extreme CPU upgrade. Go to at least 1.3GHz and over and preferably a model with 2MB L3 cache for faster response.

OP
N
Reaction score
hey thanks for the tips.

i'm in no position to save any pennies. if i was i'd just by a shiny new imac.

i've no need for leopard either.

you answered all i needed to know though (the guts of the box if you will) so thank you kindly.
n

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No problems just outlining some options. The Quicksilver uses PC133 memory modules. Have fun and enjoy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.