Power Mac G4 to Lcd TV

Reaction score
Hello there i'm new to this forum so here it goes! I want to connect my upgraded G4 (1.2ghz and a radeon9000pro graphics card) to my 37" LCD tv, my macbookpro connects fine with a DVI - Hdmi adaptor but all my G4 brings up is black screen can anybody help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just read over the specifications for your machine. The Radeon 9000 Pro should support the 37" display if you're using the correct output adaptor and have the G4 display preferences set correctly.

Not sure about this part.... but you may need a VGA to HDMI adaptor to get it working with your G4. The MBP requires DVI to HDMI.

What kind of outputs are provided on the Radeon 9000 Pro? I couldn't seem to find a diagram of its outputs to compare. If the outputs are VGA, you will need the VGA to HDMI adaptor. They're a bit expensive:

http://www.nextag.com/vga-to-hdmi-adapter/search-html

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, there is one Dvi and an apple display output but no tv out

Reaction score
Your issue is probably actually one of HDCP compatibility. The macbook pro is probably HDCP compliant, but the radeon 9000 Pro is almost certainly not.
If your monitor has a VGA input I would use that instead for the powermac.
Edit: just saw that all you have is DVI. You are in a pickle.

OP
C
Reaction score
I put the Powermac's old rage128 agp card in and through its dvi i got the startup window with the apple logo and it stayed on till the wheel finished and then reverted back to black, any one have an idea why

OP
C
Reaction score
Eureka, I got it finally, as i didnt have a apple display adaptor i couldnt use my monitor while I had the tv plugged into the dvi port so I used the remote desktop control on my tiger based powermac and screensharing option on my leopard based macbookpro and then went to the ati preferences and dectected displays and the tv showed up, and I kept trying different combinations until i got one that worked. its now running 1280 x 720 50hz

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.