Duplicate applications

Reaction score
I was doing some summer cleaning on my MBP last night. Just archiving photos on my external HDD and just clearing up HDD space on my internal. So I checked all the finder window side folders (music, movies, documents, etc.) I uninstalled some apps I don't need anymore. Then I checked the size of my application folder, it was around 8 gigs with a little over 100 items. Not a big deal to me. Next I checked the size of the home folder? It's the one above applications with my name and a little house icon. It has 150 some items, and is over 30 gigs. I know there's a lot of things in there that need to be like settings and preference files. But every single one of my apps is also duplicated in there.

I was just wondering if they are supposed to be in there and in my app folder? Or am I wasting space on my hdd by having all those duplicates? I noticed too that my music, movies, pictures, and documents folders are in there too. Are they actually duplicated in there, or is it just a link of sorts to that folder?

I appreciate any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Any apps in the folder harddisk > Applications are available to all users on your mac

Any apps in Harddisk > Users > YourFolder > Applications will only be available to you.

it is best to keep all apps in harddisk > Applications, you should only have apps in your user folder if you don't want to share them or don't think another user on your mac needs it

OP
H
Reaction score
I am the only user on my mac. So there aren't even any other accounts on it. But what you're saying is, I should be safe to delete all the apps inside my user folder without any bad consequences?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.