Question on Photoshop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
I've occasionally modified a jpg image in PS and saved it either to an image directory or the desktop, and then when I go back to open/modify it it's grey'd out. What did I do wrong?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Not sure why its greyed out (don't have photoshop here in work) but one thing to note is you should only ever modify and save a jpeg once.

Jpeg is a lossy file format i.e. each and every time you save the same jpeg file, data gets thrown away, the more you save it the lesser quality of the image.

OP
drgrafix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh... I realize all that. But if you click on a googled image, and then open a new window in PS, then paste the image into the new image window... say, resize it smaller and save it to the desktop... should it be grey'd out when you use finder to spot it? BTW, when I save it, I'm using save for web but that shouldn't matter. I could care less about the quality, I'm more interested in why it cannot be accessed again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
is the file extension in the file name? i.e. .jpg, .tif, .eps, etc....? if the extension isnt there, it could confuse the program. if its not there, just click on it and add .jpg at the end.

OP
drgrafix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm back asking this question because I still haven't got the answer I was looking for... so I've been using PS on my PC because this grey'd out thing is confusing me.

Here's a typical scenario. I put a SD card from my camera in my USB card reader and I can see all the files. I open PS and then select file, and browse to the image I want to edit. I open the image in PS, edit it, and then save it for web. Now I want to use that modified jpg in my Photobucket account, so I go to photobucket and select upload files, browse for that specific file, and it's grey in the stored location so I can't access it. Do the same exact thing on my PC and I can access it. What gives, and what makes it so hard to deal with images on a mac? I'm baffled because I always thought it would be easier.

Reaction score
I'm back asking this question because I still haven't got the answer I was looking for... so I've been using PS on my PC because this grey'd out thing is confusing me.

Here's a typical scenario. I put a SD card from my camera in my USB card reader and I can see all the files. I open PS and then select file, and browse to the image I want to edit. I open the image in PS, edit it, and then save it for web. Now I want to use that modified jpg in my Photobucket account, so I go to photobucket and select upload files, browse for that specific file, and it's grey in the stored location so I can't access it. Do the same exact thing on my PC and I can access it. What gives, and what makes it so hard to deal with images on a mac? I'm baffled because I always thought it would be easier.

When you go to save for web, what are the settings that you are using to save it?

Are they the same settings as the one's you are using on your PC?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.