MBP 17 vs iMac 24

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.4, wife: iPad 16gb & iphone 3Gs, me: Macbook 2.6 & iphone 3Gs
ok, I currently have a imac 24 2.4 which i use for net, photoshop, bit of light video editing and the like.

I am soon to get an insurance payout for my ibook (it got squashed by a tank)
now with that i could get the lowest end macbook, but I dont think that will suit my needs, I am going off on a 6 month tour of the sandbox and will want it for games as well.

So my question is,
If I sold the imac and used the money for a 17 MBP would i be downgrading?
I could probably get myself a decent screen for home use, and we are planning to get a mini to use for the tv instead of apple tv

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4g, 2GB, 200G, 15.4
If I were you, I would go for even the lowest grade MB, or even try and get a refurb 2.4ghz MB in Black or White. You would be surprised of the power the MB has. Yes I have a MBP, but my girlfriend has the 2.4ghz MB and it runs very well for what you would be using your 24in Imac. Don't get me wrong, the MBP is amazing, I love mine to death, but the MB is pretty good and worth it. IMO, I would keep the Imac and get a MB, just make sure it has 2gigs of mem in it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If I were you, I would go for even the lowest grade MB, or even try and get a refurb 2.4ghz MB in Black or White. You would be surprised of the power the MB has. Yes I have a MBP, but my girlfriend has the 2.4ghz MB and it runs very well for what you would be using your 24in Imac. Don't get me wrong, the MBP is amazing, I love mine to death, but the MB is pretty good and worth it. IMO, I would keep the Imac and get a MB, just make sure it has 2gigs of mem in it.

I think it kind of depends on what kind of games the thread author wants to play.

Integrated graphics can play things like WOW but for higher end stuff that's another story.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.4, wife: iPad 16gb & iphone 3Gs, me: Macbook 2.6 & iphone 3Gs
hmm, I'm torn, the ins co has said they will either replace my ibook, it was a G3 800, so I kind of expect the lowest level macbook, or send me the cash.

Games wise, only AOE3 and the like, would like Call of Duty 4 but tbh I only play that online, and where I'm going, thats not an option (besides, I'll be doing it for real during the working day, why do it in the base at night too!)

thanks for the thoughts, I take it a MB will run CS3 and lightroom ok, I would prefer effortless, but I'll max the ram to 4gb anyway

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.