Problems with Boot Camp - PLEASE HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
I'm having problems with Boot Camp. Here's what's happening. I ran Boot Camp Assistant, partitioning a 32GB BOOTCAMP drive. I insert my copy of XP and start the installation. My MBP restarts and boots into the Windows Setup. I let it run through the initial actions. I press ENTER to proceed, F8 to accept the license agreement, then when I get to the part where I should be able to select the Partition 3 BOOTCAMP drive (as it says in the Apple Boot Camp Manual) there is only a Partition 1 Unknown drive. It is the only drive to choose from and its a C: drive. I can't figure out why after I run boot camp the partitioned drive doesn't appear as an option in the windows installation. Please help!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Are you sure that the unknown drive partition isn't the one you just made?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
It is unknown because you havent formatted it yet. Just format it and go on with the installation and you should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
It is unknown because you havent formatted it yet. Just format it and go on with the installation and you should be fine.
Absolutely do not do that...

If you have not done anything to your partition scheme before bootcamp, it should be labeled as partition 3 in the windows installation just like the instructions say.

The unknown partition that you are seeing is most likely your mac partition. It is unknown because it is formatted with HFS+. If you choose that partition and format it with the windows installer it will destroy your partition scheme and erase your OS X installation.

And btw: Bootcamp does format partitions it creates with FAT32.

Whatever you do, do not continue and format that unknown partition unless you are 100% sure that's the partition that bootcamp is creating (which most likely its not)...

EDIT: For troubleshooting purposes, what does windows say the size of this "unknown" partition is...

OP
CarlConti08
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found out the unknown drive was my mac partition the hard way. I went through with the install on it and it wiped my hard drive clean. I had to start from the Leopard Discs and reinstall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Sorry about my suggestion! Sometimes the brain doesn't think straight, i had nothing but good intentions though :(, It seems like you got it to work anyway and didn't damage anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I found out the unknown drive was my mac partition the hard way. I went through with the install on it and it wiped my hard drive clean. I had to start from the Leopard Discs and reinstall.
I'm sorry to hear that... :Oops: Installing windows through bootcamp is a semi-risky thing to do...

Did you have a backup of your data?

OP
CarlConti08
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a partial backup as I had recently gotten my MBP, but not everything was backed up. I think I just lost a few music and video files, but ive been able to redownload those so not much damage was done.

OP
CarlConti08
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here are some pictures of whats going on:
0729081138.jpg

Partitioned the 32GB BOOTCAMP drive formatted FAT32
0729081138a.jpg

Starting the installation
0729081140.jpg

Boots into windows setup
0729081144.jpg

Press Enter to continue
downsized_0729081144a.jpg

License Agreement. I press F8 to accept
downsized_0729081144b.jpg

Get to the part where I should be able to let windows setup format the bootcamp drive but theres only one unknown disk.
downsized_0729081144c.jpg

downsized_0729081144d.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.