Touch: will it slow down my wireless n

Reaction score
I passed this topic on a forum at some point but have not been able to track it back down.

I'm considering getting an Ipod Touch. Does using an Ipod Touch on my wireless n Airport Extreme drop the connection with my MBP down to a b/g connection. Is it necessary to have another router (maybe an Express) to take on the lower Ipod touch signal?

I will not have the Touch online that often at home. Likely only to sync things if I keep my MobileMe account, or to play around if my wife is on the computer, but I am curious about the signal.

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
It'll drop it down to G.

Reaction score
Yep, that's the fine print on most wireless N ( or A )routers, ALL devices connected to it must be N rated or else the router will run at the slower protocols...

unless you are moving some serious traffic over your local LAN (no not internet) the difference between N and G is not even worth debating.

If you want a good throughput on your LAN go wired and get a router that supports gigabit ethernet.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks. Sounds like it might not be a drastic change in speed anyway. I'll only be putting it through usual home use, not a whole lot of traffic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It wouldn't really matter. Your network might be rated for 54Mbs but your internet connection is likely no more that 15Mbs. Unless you are streaming video to an ATV or something similar, you won't see a difference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.