DVD Problems Need Help!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 Sonnet 1.0 512 Ram 10.3.6
I have purchased a Plextor DVD burner for my PowerMac G4. I look in my system preference file and it claims that it's not suppoerted. I can watch movies with this drive and use it as a standard CD-Rom but cannot burn. Any of you Mac professionals have any suggestions??????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
is it internal or external?when you say you cant burn, what apps are you trying to burn from? itunes, idvd and a few others dont support external burners. did the drive come with any cds, or drivers to install? also, go into applications>utilities>system profiler. in SP, itll tell you under hardwar, click the connection type, usb or firewire, click the little rtriangle, itll drop down, select the drive and itll give you a full description, etc.

OP
New2Macs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
is it internal or external?when you say you cant burn, what apps are you trying to burn from? itunes, idvd and a few others dont support external burners. did the drive come with any cds, or drivers to install? also, go into applications>utilities>system profiler. in SP, itll tell you under hardwar, click the connection type, usb or firewire, click the little rtriangle, itll drop down, select the drive and itll give you a full description, etc.
It is a internal drive. I tried to burn using I Tunes. It came with only Windows based drivers. Plextor claims the drive to be compatible with Mac. Is there a patch or anything I could download to fix this problem? Thanks Macman for your response.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
use patch burn, its a haxie, it might let your drive burn, or try burning througyh toast. have you tried going to the manufacturers site and downloading drivers?

OP
New2Macs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
use patch burn, its a haxie, it might let your drive burn, or try burning througyh toast. have you tried going to the manufacturers site and downloading drivers?
I tried going to their site and I really didnt see anything specific. I will check again. But now if I use patch burn will that correct the problem if I have Toast. Right now I do not have a copy installed on my computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it usually forces the computer to recognize the burner. but yea, you should probably just use toast if you can. it may work in toast without patchburn.

OP
New2Macs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
it usually forces the computer to recognize the burner. but yea, you should probably just use toast if you can. it may work in toast without patchburn.
Will Toast allow me to burn DVD's? Another question is where in the **** do I find patchburn? LoL I am new 2 Macs as my name states so thanks for your patience.

OP
New2Macs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New2Macs said:
Will Toast allow me to burn DVD's? Another question is where in the **** do I find patchburn? LoL I am new 2 Macs as my name states so thanks for your patience.
I got the link for Patch Burn!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cool, yup, toast lets you burn dvds.

OP
New2Macs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
cool, yup, toast lets you burn dvds.
Mac Man got another problem for ya! Patchburn worked fine my Mac now recognizes my drive. But now when I install a CD that burned to mp3's my Mac doesnt recognize it. Any suggestions??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what app are you trying to use to burn when you insert the blank cd? have you tried another disc? try going into system preferences, click on cds and dvds, and where it says :
'When you insert a bank cd:' in the pop up menu, it should either say open toast or ask what to do, you can set it to open toast by choosing open other application in the pop up, then just navigate to toast.
wait, do you mean when you burn a mp3 cd, and insert it after its burned, its not recognized? what brand of cdr are you using? or go to system preferences like above and change when I insert a music cd to open itunes.

OP
New2Macs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
what app are you trying to use to burn when you insert the blank cd? have you tried another disc? try going into system preferences, click on cds and dvds, and where it says :
'When you insert a bank cd:' in the pop up menu, it should either say open toast or ask what to do, you can set it to open toast by choosing open other application in the pop up, then just navigate to toast.
wait, do you mean when you burn a mp3 cd, and insert it after its burned, its not recognized? what brand of cdr are you using? or go to system preferences like above and change when I insert a music cd to open itunes.
The second scenario was my problem I installed a already burned CD and it did not recognize it. The CD doesnt even show up on my desktop like normal.

On the other hand when I went to burn a CD using Toast it worked fine.
Thanks

OP
New2Macs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The second scenario is the culprit. I burned some mp3 to a CD and the Mac didnt see it. Usually whenver you install a CD into your drive the little icon appears on the desktop.
On the other hand I tried burning a CD last night for a practice run. I wasnt able to because all my CD's were full. But at least it recognized this time as it didnt before. I guess this is a good sign????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
were the unrecognized discs burned in itunes or something besides toast?

OP
New2Macs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
were the unrecognized discs burned in itunes or something besides toast?
Actually it was burned in Windows Media Player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
on a mac? I dont think thats possible, or smart, not even a good thing on a pc. thats most likely part of your problem.

OP
New2Macs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
on a mac? I dont think thats possible, or smart, not even a good thing on a pc. thats most likely part of your problem.

Ah ha! What I did was burned my MP3's to a CD and tried to transfer to my Mac. I figured that if I converted them into ITunes files that it would work fine. Not the case I take it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
not if youre burning in wmp, if you burn in easy cd creator or nero, it should work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.