wd hdd mybook for mac?

Reaction score
mybook world edition for mac?

I have an HD video camera and I need to store my files on a HDD other than the one in my laptop. I was looking at Western Digitals because someone told me that they were the best. When I read about the world edition of mybook, I was amazed to find a 1tb hard drive with ethernet for only $20 more than a 1tb without ethernet, I became quite excited. In the system requirements area its says i need Windows® Vista/2000/XP Home/Pro. Do any of you either know if this drive is compatible with macs, have another one that is, or know of a similar drive that would function the same way?
thanks in advance.:)

OP
A
Reaction score
I have an HD video camera and I need to store my files on a HDD other than the one in my laptop. I was looking at Western Digitals because someone told me that they were the best. When I read about the world edition of mybook, I was amazed to find a 1tb hard drive with ethernet for only $20 more than a 1tb without ethernet, I became quite excited. In the system requirements area its says i need Windows® Vista/2000/XP Home/Pro. Do any of you either know if this drive is compatible with macs, have another one that is, or know of a similar drive that would function the same way?
thanks in advance.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
No that is a networked storage device, and is supplied with windows software. Anyhow, being ethernet based your access rate to that drive will be on the slow side.

Do you need a networked drive or just a faster drive that connects to your mac directly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
louishen makes a good point, using HD video on a networked drive would be painfully slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
lifeafter2am, is that a Banski avatar?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Yeah it is! I love his work!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
louishen makes a good point, using HD video on a networked drive would be painfully slow.

If he uses it over the network, then yes, but if he connects it directly to his Mac via Ethernet, then it has the potential of being faster than USB or Firewire.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Merged duplicate threads.

OP
A
Reaction score
So Can I use it with my mac or not? By the way, I will use it for more than hd video, so access speed over ethernet does not bother me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.