iBook G3 snow optical drive upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
Hi, i have an iBook G3 that has a CD-ROM drive. Since the model originally was available in a DVD drive configuration, i was wondering if i could change out the CD drive for a DVD drive. if so, how would i go about doing this, and would i need to mess with thermal paste and all that other nonsense? Thanks, Justin Also, could i replace the tray loading drive that comes with a G3 with a slot loading drive that comes with a G4, because they are much cooler? Would the bezels match?

Reaction score
If you figure how to swap the slot-load into the older ibook let me know. It seems to depend on how many ATA bus slots are in the laptop. If it's one and the slot-load optical has no master/slave setting you're going to have problems. I know I am !

OP
justin_clark93
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
hi. i do not know where to buy the upgrade drive, although i did find a website www.ifixit.com in which the drives are really expensive. and johnwd5, i did see an article where someone did put a slot drive into a G3 (http://www.applefritter.com/node/20600), but they had to set the hdd to slave... would the computer boot up normally with the hd set to slave? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook, Ipod Touch 8GB
for how much would you be willing to sell it? :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.