Colour Faults and Fluctuations in my Monitor!

M

mrbolano

Does anyone have any insight into the following monitor issue I've been having since I bought my emac several months ago?

* random dull patches of colour
* green, blue or red random patches on the screen that wash out the area they are in
* patches sometimes dissappear when I restart or sleep and wake up the computer
* a visible circular dull patch when I do a monitor test and the screen is white

Its most annoying.

I have no big electrical devices near the computer either.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
what OS are you running? this sounds like a fairly serious problem, if your emac is still covered by applecare or some warranty, take it in. I havent seen monitors on emacs go bad much, is the monitor set up to adjust with ambient light,, or is it set to act as if theres ambient/low light?

OP
M

mrbolano

I'm running 10.3.5 (haven't upgraded yet to .6)

How do I adjust for ambient light etc.?

I pretty much knew I might have to take it back in but that is so annoying - I hate not having a computer for weeks.

I should add that my description makes it sound trully awful but that it is fairly subtle in some ways. Untrained eyes probably wouldn't notice but seeing as how I work pretty much on photography in Photoshop I see it all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in system preferences, click display, then click the color tab, and there are some pop up boxes that set a general ambient light/gamma/white point, but in the screenshot, where the mouse is over the calibrate button, this button opens a setup thing and lets you manually calibrate and adjust for lighting, etc.

Picture 1.jpg

OP
M

mrbolano

I'm afraid that eMac users don't get as many spiffy options as Apple Studio displays do. I can calibrate for all the usuals - contrast, colour, lightness, gamma setting etc but not in the same way as your attachment shows (much more basic) I've been through all of that.

When I run Techtool Pro 4 it says the monitor is working fine so maybe its software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it could be damage color profiles, in sutilities, open colorsync utility, click the preferences tab and see what your default colrs are set as, if not, use the profile first aid tab to try to verify/repair any damaged or incorrect profiles.

Picture 1.jpg

OP
M

mrbolano

Checked and verified my profiles and no problems there.

They were set the same as your attachment too.

Could it be something to do with de-gauzing? I usually send my emac to sleep at night rather than shutting down. Today I shut it fown and left it for a bit and when I started up the colour fault was not persent - for the moment anyway. If it goes to sleep it can come back when it wakes up.

By the way, thanks for your help and time!

OP
M

mrbolano

Here's an interesting update:

I have used screden capture to record what the fault looks like at its worst.

Latter when the fault isn't present I have opened up those jpegs and guess what - no faults present in the screen capture.

This would seem to indicate that it is a monitor problem rather than a software - because isn't screen capture just recording the code that the CRT is displaying rather than what is actually displayed?

Hmmmmm.

Looks like I am going to have to ring Apple after all - but what am I going to do without my beloved eMac for a couple of weeks?

OP
M

mrbolano

Finally! A solution to my woes.

So I eventually got around to calling Apple and I took it into the new Taylor Square Apple Academy (Sydney Australia) - very nice staff by the way - and within 4 record days I had my eMac reapired and home and guess what?

It was the deguassing just like I thought! To quote:

Found: Display does not deguass when woken from sleep
Diagnosis: Analog board is faulty
Performed: Repalced analog board and tested ok.

For anyoe else who thinks they might have this problem the give away is that you don't hear that 'donk' of 'ba-doom' noise/sound/thingy from the monitor when you start the machine up (the 'degaussing' I assume because my machine neever did it before and know it does).

cheers for all the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.