False "Server Not Found" Error

D

dygmy

I've had a strange problem with browsers recently. When we call up a domain for the first time on a given day, we get a "server not found" error. If we click in the address bar and hit enter a second time without changing anything, it goes to the site. I know this is happening in IE and Safari on the Mac on at least two machines. It doesn't seem like the same thing is happening on the Windows machines.

We recently purchased a Zoom ADSL X5 Modem (Model 5554) and I suspect it's something the modem is doing. Anyone got any bright ideas?

I pig a dig me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It's a bug with the underlying BSD code in OSX that gives it issues with certain newer DNS servers. That's why you only get that problem sometimes. One solution that seems to take care of the issue most of the time is to go into Network Settings and turn off IPv6.

OP
D

dygmy

Thanks for the tip Schweb! I tried it and it seems to happen about half as often as before. I'm assuming this is a bug they are working on for the next software update.

I pig a dig me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
BTW, the 10.3.7 updated fixes the issue ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.