HP Laserjet on iMac, Leopard OS, problem printing

Reaction score
hi all

i recently bought a new IMAC with leopard OS X. had an old HP Laserjet 6p with my old PC that i bought a USB adapter for. when plugged into the new imac, it is recognized as a "USB 2.0 printer." i am selecting the driver as the HP Laserjet 6P - CUPS + Gutenprint driver from the driver option. however, when i try to print, it says "Printer is currently offline." can't figure out how to get my printer online. not a printer problem b/c i tried plugging it into my old PC laptop via parallel port and works fine. any help is appreciated, thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does the system recognize your printer as a HP 6P at all? If it "sees" it only as a USB 2.0 printer the driver you installed is not going to work. Newer HP LaserJets that have a USB 2.0 output port are recognized and will work fine with the Gutenprint driver.

You may have better luck with this driver. Give it a try and let us know if it works for you.

http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php3

Regards.

OP
Y
Reaction score
thanks for the advice...i tried downloading the usbtb.dmg from the site you suggested - they scanned and found the "USB 2.0 printer" but could not find an appropriate driver for that device still.

any other suggestions?

thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
thanks for the advice...i tried downloading the usbtb.dmg from the site you suggested - they scanned and found the "USB 2.0 printer" but could not find an appropriate driver for that device still.

any other suggestions?

thanks

Did you also download and try this driver? gutenprint-5.0.0.U.dmg

Regards.

OP
Y
Reaction score
thanks for all the above advice. i did use the gutenprint-5.0.0.U.dmg, but still did not help, and am still running into the problem of the printer being "offline."

OP
Y
Reaction score
Have you considered trying to print using ethernet connection? Have a look at this link and see if it helps:-

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl04055#A5

i am not sure how to print via ethernet connection. i'm not sure if you mean i should hook the printer up to a different computer and print wirelessly? that is an option, but i would prefer the printer to be hooked up to the iMac since it is going to be my main computer.

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.