Hard Drive

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just got a mac mini (1.25GHz).
I would like to upgrade the RAM, as it only has 512MB. Which RAM do I get?

Also, it only comes with a 40GB hard drive. I want to upgrade it to at least an 80GB drive. Someone told me that 80GB is the maximum that my mini can take, although I heard from someone else that I could have more than that.
What hard drive do I get? Is it just a standard ATA (IDE) notebook drive (which can also be used in PC notebooks)?

Thanks heaps guys!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
If you look on my site under serial numbers it will allow you to work out which variant of Mac Mini you have. You can then click on this and it will take you to model specific information about type of drive, max memory etc.

The largest 2.5" PATA drives are 250Gb, the largest SATA drives are 500Gb (11mm).

www.upgradeyourmac.co.uk

As a 1.25GHz model it will be the M9686LL/B which is a G4. You will be able to fit a 250Gb PATA drive. If you follow the instructions for the Intel model this will give you enough information to carry out the upgrade. Once you have the lid off it is quite simple really.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.