HELP!!!! iBook G3 late 2001 sound failure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
I recently purchased an iBook G3 snow on ebay. I recieved the airport card today, and I was updating the OS to 10.4.11. After it was finished, the laptop took waayy to long to reboot (it actually did twice) and when it finally turned on the sound was way too loud and very fuzzy sounding and tinny. It would not respond to the mute or volume keys, and it even sounded like that through my headphones. Could this be as a result of upgrading the OS? Or is it because the laptop was hot (although not extremely so) from being on for about 2 hours? Thanks for any response, Justin.:\ PS after the laptop was significantly cooled, i tried the sound again. There is now nothing coming through the speakers even thought the menu icon says otherwise....

Reaction score
it sounds like your logic board is going to go bye bye soon OR, it could be a bad install of 10.4
it's hard to tell.

but since it took so... long to boot it does sound like a bad install of OS x 10.4, try to reinstall it that should help

Matthew

OP
justin_clark93
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook sound

the sound has since come back on, and sounds normal. BTW, i was not installing another version of OS X, i was upgrading from OS 10.4.5 to 10.4.11. I really hope it is not the logic board!!!! wat do you think about the sound not responding to the keys? thanks, justin.

Reaction score
I would try a clean install, not just an upgrade over someone else's install.

OP
justin_clark93
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks

thanks everyone, btw the volume now sounds normal, it just does not respond to the sound keys, or the control in System Preferences, why could this be happening?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.