iTunes wireless, what do I need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Memory
Hello all! I'm relatively new to my iMac and Macs in general (and loving it) and even newer to wi-fi. Basically, I'd like to be able to access my computers iTunes and playlists on the back deck of my house and I'm not quite sure what I'd need. I only want to mount two speakers outside (wired or wireless) and then have some sort of control that can access my Mac and it's iTunes wirelessly. I have a D-Link DIR-615 router that works great with my Mac and Xbox 360 (that was another challenge that worked out great) and would like something that can connect to the network. I'm really lost and would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
You need Airport Express.

I recently bought one for just this reason you can read about it in my blog

Dead simple to set-up and works like a dream. If you have an iTouch or iPhone you can also use it like a remote and control your iTunes library whilst sitting on the back deck. Sadly I don't have either of those :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Yup, the Airport express will plug into powered speakers or a stereo system, and stream the music from iTunes on your iMac over the network. You still control it on the Mac, but if you have an iPhone or an Apple Remote you can do that from some distance away :).

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Memory
Thank you very much for the info, I guess I'll be investing in a iPod touch sooner than I thought (iPhone costs too much in Canada). I can't wait to try it out!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.