MySQL on OSX?

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here (so be nice :p) and am a fairly new mac user (I use them all the time for graphical work). Anyway, my dad has put me up to building him a MySQl server, and it seems to be possible from a mac, however, I am pulling my hair out over the thing. So far I've managed to actually install the binaries ( I hope), and I've been trying to access things through the native terminal. However, this is really where I'm running into trouble, the mysql isn't executing as anything, and i just get yelled at by the comp saying "command is not found", when every other printed source blathers away (and posts examples of it) being used as a command from the terminal. I'm sorry if I'm vague about this, I'm an artist, not a scripter..., but any help would be wicked appreciated.:Smirk:

Btw, I wasn't sure if this should go under OS's or here, but this place I think is more appropriate....:Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Are you sure that the server is started now that it's installed? Was there a log generated during the install that you can verify that the install went fine?

OP
E
Reaction score
hey, thanks for the fast replies, you guys are savin' me. I got as far as trying to set the password for the server, but now I can't login as root. In the terminal I punch in:

shell> mysql -u root

and all I get is:

bash: mysql: permission denied

I was under the impression these accounts on a unix system started up as non passworded. If they are how do put the password in, or general how do i get around this/now what did i do wrong? :p

thanks again guys :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
You could always try a 'sudo mysql -u root'. I haven't tried using MySQL from the command line, so I'm not sure otherwise.

OP
E
Reaction score
thanks for the info dude, but when i do that I just get

"sudo: mysql: command not found"

Sometimes I think my comp likes making me squirm :eek:

Btw, honestly, thanks for the fast replies and the help, you guys are wicked :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Type
sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -u root

OP
E
Reaction score
hey karudzo, your line seemed to want to work as it asked for my pass (hoorah!). However this one is up for anyone to determine, but I'm now getting

"ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MysQL server trhough socket ' /tmp/Mysql.sock' (2) :Confused:

I'm going to do a good bit of digging on this one as it seems to be almost a router issue of some sort. :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
It shouldn't be a router issue since you are running and trying to connect to it on the same system. However, it could be a networking/configuration error in that MySQL isn't sure where to be listening, or that the client is trying to connect in the wrong way.

OP
E
Reaction score
yeah, actually that does make more sense. I'm gonna give Xampp a shot tonight while I'm at this I think, can't hurt.

Reaction score
I used my Leopard CLient as a Full Fledged Web Server once, PHP, Apache, MySQL, DNS, e-mail, all working, but i took it off because i have an iMac anda webserver will kill it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.