Macbook pro....256 or 512 for WOW

Reaction score
Hi, after seeing a friends Macbook pro I fell in love and have decided to get myself one this weekend. I’m torn between the 2.4 with the 256 video card and 2.5 with the 512 video card. I know there have been loads and loads of questions about this….can’t say I can find much at the moment though 

I mainly use it for entertainment and admin stuff with the only game I play being world of warcraft. My questions is do you guys think that the 512 video card is worth the extra cash? For 3d gaming would you see a massive improvement as from what I have read so far the improvement doesn’t seem that massive!

thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I would go for it. You can't upgrade later, and it will help extend the life of the laptop for you should another game come out that you want to play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
I've heard of people playing WOW on a MacBook. So I would think that256 should be sufficent, but if I were you I would go for the 512 becuase more is always better

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4" C2D 2.4GHz 2GB Ram 160GB HD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Nano 8GB
the 256 would definitely be enough for WOW but i would go with 512 just to get the best out of the game and out of the mac.

Reaction score
I just got my MacBook Pro last night with the 256 and I hit 114FPS in Shattrath.

But the heat goes up quick. Good god, you could almost cook an omelet judging by the feel of it.

Reaction score
512 isnt worth it, read any of the reviews, it gets maybe 1-2 fps more, because the 8600 is crap and cant handle that much ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
For WoW, you would notice no improvement in the extra memory as neither the video card nor the game is capable of fully utilizing it. You would need a really video intensive app, such as 3D rendering, to be able to get anywhere close to utilizing all of that memory. So unless you're planning on using CAD in the near future, save your money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Kash is correct. I have a new 256mb MacBook Pro and it runs WOW as well as my homemade windows gaming machine with dual nVidia 8800 GTX's in SLI.

Reaction score
I got the 256 MB Macbook Pro and play WoW with no problems, have to run with vsync enabled at 60 fps so as not to get too much screen tearing. Still, it chugs a little in Shat on a busy Friday night.

I used to play on a custom-made gaming laptop and it looks better on the Macbook. I usually play in a window so I can spin some tunes and check my email too, but it looks and works great either full screen or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.