Networking issues :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 200GB @7200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
Hey guys. My boyfriend and I are having trouble connecting to each other's laptops. We are on the same network, and we used to be able to get to the other's drop box by clicking the appropriate laptop icon under the "shared" portion of the sidebar. Now, when we try the same thing, we get connection failed notifications in the finder windows.

Ok, well now scratch most of that. We were just successful in getting my laptop to see his and allow me to put items in his drop box, but he still gets connection failed when he tries.

We both have file sharing turned on and have "Users" and "Everyone" set to Write only - Drop Box permissions.

Anyone have any clue as to what is wrong here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Have you replaced a router or anything recently? Can he ping your laptop and get on the internet?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 200GB @7200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
No, we haven't gotten anything new like a router or anything. We're thinking that it could be something wrong on my end, since he can take over my laptop using Apple Remote Desktop. What do you think??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
If he can't connect to yours, then yes I'd say it's something on your end. I would guess a service or firewall type problem, but I wouldn't think that to be the case if you hadn't changed anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
Hey thyamine, this is her boyfriend. First, thanks for your thoughts.
We have gotten this to work in the past, but all of a sudden I have not been able to access her drop box. I find it odd that I can't connect to her to get in her box, but I can use the remote desktop feature and connect just fine. That make no sense to me :(. We've tried repairing disk permissions, and still no dice. I'm pretty sure that I'm about to ready to suggest a re install LOL. That was a joke. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Actually wait a minute. You have the permissions set to Write Only? You need to have them set to Read & Write if you want to see anything in the drop box. Otherwise all you can do is deposit files there. You can also try turning off the permissions, then turning them back on to Read/Write for everyone to test it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually wait a minute. You have the permissions set to Write Only? You need to have them set to Read & Write if you want to see anything in the drop box. Otherwise all you can do is deposit files there. You can also try turning off the permissions, then turning them back on to Read/Write for everyone to test it.

My bad, I used access in the wrong context. We only need it as a drop box. to be able to use the drop box, you must first click their computer icon in the side bar under sharing. That is where we are having problems. I can't even get connected to her laptop to even see her public folder (this sounds so dirty, LOL). But anyway, thanks for your suggestions! We'll give it a try next time we are on the same network. Maybe it's just my home network that is giving us trouble, ya know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After 3 months of still not getting this to work, I decided to sit down and set my mind to it. It turns out, it was really simple. She had inadvertently turned off her guest account... go figure :/ We set it back to sharing only and all is well...

Sorry to revive a dead post, but it might be helpful to others...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.