App store keeps bricking my iPod Touch

Reaction score
Hi

I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem i am. It's the 5th time i've had to restore my Touch (8gigs) now since i've gotten the 2.0 software.

It seems to happen randomly, although always when installing apps, but never the same apps. I have tried both using a backup and starting up from scratch, no difference.

As it's installing an app, it will randomly freeze, if that happens, I have no choice than to reset it. It's happened both in iTunes, and in the standalone App store ... oh i'm using a PC, it occured on my personal PC and my PC at work

Or am I incredibly dense and there's another step i can do before restore and not have to reset it every time?

EdH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro(5.1), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB hdd
I haven't had the same problem, but did have a problem installing app store apps - turned out I didn't have sufficient space left on my iPod Touch. I would suggest checking the available space, and also upgrading to 2.0.1.

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem and mine is a rather empty 32gb Touch, so you're not alone man.

Like you said, for me the problem mostly comes when downloading apps from the App Store on the Touch, on the other hand, I have less trouble installing apps that were downloaded on iTunes, but, they will be troublesome too, most of the time taking a good 20 mins to install a 0.1mb app or an hour for a 10mb app.

Reaction score
you might have a defective item, i never had any problems with my 32gb touch

Reaction score
Same problem here

I have many friends with iPhone 3G and iPod Touches and we are all having issues with the 2.0x firmware.

I've reloaded mine at least 4 or 5 times as well (each time takes hours and hours).

Here's what I have learned (at least with my particular 16GB Touch):

• Never download/update apps directly to the iPod over WiFi. Every time I do this, the sync goes crazy when I reconnect to my Windows PC. Instead, I now do all my updates directly via iTunes and then sync to my Touch. As long as I do this, I have not had any syncing problems. Apple definitely needs to work on this feature....still broken in 2.0.2

• Ignore the mismatch in what iTunes Library > Applications says for apps that have updates available, and the same feature on the iPod itself. These rarely match up and again Apple needs to fix this.

• Finally, I have learned that if you are doing a sync in iTunes, do NOT browse around the iTunes Store and download anything. I've attempted this twice and both times iTunes locks up and crashes, and then the entire syncing is off again when I reboot. If the "backup" takes too long, you can press the "x" and let it continue with the sync. Again, we're waiting for Apple to fix (speed up) the backup process as 3 hours is ridiculous!!

Reaction score
I haven't had the same problem, but did have a problem installing app store apps - turned out I didn't have sufficient space left on my iPod Touch. I would suggest checking the available space, and also upgrading to 2.0.1.

Oh man , please please no ones upgrades their product software , please , it is teh most sickenign this ever to do , ( if done on home )

I have doen ot ones that i have upgraded my ipod sofware , might be that it is my mistake , what ever , the software is not installed properly and what happened was the songs neevr play in teh machine , i took it to teh vendor they said " yoyu have broke the laws of warrenty , so no replacing !!!!!! )

Please do not be a *** liek me , never do upgrade teh software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.