iMac G5 20" model description (my personal experience)

O

osxuser

today I had a chance to look at the new iMac G5 20". When I got the bugger out of the box it was quite impressive and heavy. It is relatively wide and heavy as I mentioned before. I think its weight is almost like the eMac's one. Anyway, the system starts pretty fast compare to G4s, the screen is very sharp not like that crap in 17" model with weird resolution. Feels like you're working with 2 monitors. Hard drive optimization doesn't take ages (2 mins max), the hard drive is huge BTW 160 gigs but in reality you have only 146. Geforce 5200 means you can play no games, don't know how can it support 1680 x 1050 pixels. Unfortunatelly, I didn't have a chance to run any games on it but I guess its would've been jerky. So, to sum up:

pros:

very impressive and sharp display (almost like 2 displays) with proper resolution and quality picture;
fans are not so noisy like in the 17" model;
its a G5 1.8GHz!!!;
big 160gb hard drive;
relatively low price for all this I think;
speakers aren't too bad for osx sounds :)
the design is ok :)

cons:

crappy unupgradable vide card;
it is thiker than 2 inches;
pretty heavy;
you can't tilt it horizontally without moving the stand and the display is not very adjustable at all;

My advice is if you wanna buy an iMac buy the 20" model. Hope it helps new mac users. thanks for reading.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Thanks for the review osxuser. My 20" iMac is on the way, but I won't get it until Christmas. I agree with you definitely that you can't upgrade some of the components. That is definitely a downside. The thickness of the iMac, in my opinion is does not bother me. My monitor that I use for my windows computer is about the same thickness, so that is not much of a worry for me. But I'm glad that I have a strong desk for my iMac. As for not being able to move the monitor horizontally, yes, it's a downside, but then again not a lot of monitors are very adjustable.

Thank you for reassuring my families' purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
When I move my 20" horizontally. it slides really easily, so I don't really notice it, and the verticle tilt works beautifully.. it is heavey! and I don't play games much so I don't notice the vid card :) It is pretty sweet.. Im loving it!

Reaction score
Huh?

osxuser said:
1. Geforce 5200 means you can play no games, don't know how can it support 1680 x 1050 pixels. Unfortunatelly, I didn't have a chance to run any games on it but I guess its would've been jerky. So, to sum up:

pros:

2. speakers aren't too bad for osx sounds :)
the design is ok :)

cons:

3. crappy unupgradable vide card;
4. it is thiker than 2 inches;
5. pretty heavy;
6. you can't tilt it horizontally without moving the stand and the display is not very adjustable at all;

7.My advice is if you wanna buy an iMac buy the 20" model. Hope it helps new mac users. thanks for reading.

Just installed an iMac G5 with the 20" for the wife, we both love it... for the price it is one heck of a good buy. I don't really understand some of your remarks about it. Here are a few responses to your statements.

1.I also was disapointed with the choice of video cards, should have been the same card they used in the G5 duelies, however for most people it will do the job. A stock iMac with only 256 ram would be underpowered for the better games anyway, one would need a minum 512 for decent and 1 gig for good play. It should however be able to play quite a few of the milder games with no problem when more ram is added. Even then with the new big games the measly 64 ram on the ati card will suck, but probably be playable at least.

2.The built in speakers are ok for system sounds, but if you want to listen to music or crank it up for gaming a good set of amped outside speakers will certainly be needed.

3.Can't argue with that....(G)

4. ? What do you want, it is only 2 1/2 inches thick...it includes not only a screen 17" wide by 10 1/2 deep but it has a whole computer built into it too. Jeez I think that was a bit over kill on the complaints don't you? Perhaps in a few more years they can shrink em down to a 1/2" thick for you.

5. Heavy? it's a WHOLE COMPUTER in one piece for crying out loud. You think the iMac is too heavy you should try lifting my amd 64 bit water cooled gamer, now that's heavy...and doesn't include the monitor...

6. Don't know about yours. but I have no problem at all moving the whole computer a bit left or right as it slides easily on the desk, even though as you say it is heavy... as for the up or down mine moves with finger tip control.

7. I agree about the 20" over the 17", so much more viewing and desktop space to move around in. However, it is $500 more than the 17" which could be a stopper to a lot of people. Apple makes some top notch monitors, to bad they price em so high. Really sucks to pay $2500 for a computer then have to pay $2300 for a monitor...I use a 20" Samsung on my G5 and it works just great at less than half the price of the Apple monitor.

Not trying to start a fight with you it just seems to me that apple people seem to be awfully nitpickin. I have seen quite a few messages with people complaining about how loud their G5's or iMacs are... good grief I can get within 2" of either of my mac's and the Amd 64 bit gamer drowns em out from 5 feet away. Of course it has a water pump that pushes 300 gallons an hour....(G)

OP
O

osxuser

James said:
Just installed an iMac G5 with the 20" for the wife, we both love it... for the price it is one heck of a good buy. I don't really understand some of your remarks about it. Here are a few responses to your statements.

1.I also was disapointed with the choice of video cards, should have been the same card they used in the G5 duelies, however for most people it will do the job. A stock iMac with only 256 ram would be underpowered for the better games anyway, one would need a minum 512 for decent and 1 gig for good play. It should however be able to play quite a few of the milder games with no problem when more ram is added. Even then with the new big games the measly 64 ram on the ati card will suck, but probably be playable at least.

2.The built in speakers are ok for system sounds, but if you want to listen to music or crank it up for gaming a good set of amped outside speakers will certainly be needed.

3.Can't argue with that....(G)

4. ? What do you want, it is only 2 1/2 inches thick...it includes not only a screen 17" wide by 10 1/2 deep but it has a whole computer built into it too. Jeez I think that was a bit over kill on the complaints don't you? Perhaps in a few more years they can shrink em down to a 1/2" thick for you.

5. Heavy? it's a WHOLE COMPUTER in one piece for crying out loud. You think the iMac is too heavy you should try lifting my amd 64 bit water cooled gamer, now that's heavy...and doesn't include the monitor...

6. Don't know about yours. but I have no problem at all moving the whole computer a bit left or right as it slides easily on the desk, even though as you say it is heavy... as for the up or down mine moves with finger tip control.

7. I agree about the 20" over the 17", so much more viewing and desktop space to move around in. However, it is $500 more than the 17" which could be a stopper to a lot of people. Apple makes some top notch monitors, to bad they price em so high. Really sucks to pay $2500 for a computer then have to pay $2300 for a monitor...I use a 20" Samsung on my G5 and it works just great at less than half the price of the Apple monitor.

Not trying to start a fight with you it just seems to me that apple people seem to be awfully nitpickin. I have seen quite a few messages with people complaining about how loud their G5's or iMacs are... good grief I can get within 2" of either of my mac's and the Amd 64 bit gamer drowns em out from 5 feet away. Of course it has a water pump that pushes 300 gallons an hour....(G)

the weight is not a problem for me. I was just saying. About moving the whole computer left or right I just compared it to an old iMac G4 cause in that one it was very adjustable but yeah I guess it is not a big deal anyway. And it'll be cool if they could shrink em down to a 1/2" thick for me :)

Reaction score
osxuser said:
the weight is not a problem for me. I was just saying. About moving the whole computer left or right I just compared it to an old iMac G4 cause in that one it was very adjustable but yeah I guess it is not a big deal anyway. And it'll be cool if they could shrink em down to a 1/2" thick for me :)

Ah I see, what you really want is a uinit like my Samsung SyncMaster 213 that can be moved up and down, and turned side to side without the stand moving at all...don't blame you that is nice. What really looks neat is when you turn the whole screen 90 degrees and have it in portrate mode instead of landscape ....(G)

The shrinking continues...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.