Best way to network to Macs

Reaction score
Hi

I have an iMac and a Mac Book Pro, one of the only things that annoys me about these two is the way that they communicate with each other.

I'm currently just clicking on the iMac from the shared section of the finder on my Mac Book Pro, this does work but every time I want to connect it seems to take ages and it always asked me for a password even though I've clicked remember in keychain.

When connecting to my Dads Windows PC using this method it's fine but not between the Macs. After waiting a while they usually do connect but the connect is sometimes broken.

Is this the best way to network the two together? I'm just using a Wireless router.

Although I now hate using windows this is one aspect that does work, once you have mapped a network drive it will just connect if both machine are on.

Am I doing something wrong, is there a better way ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina MacBook Pro (15")
This comes from my background in Cisco networking... but I found that by assigning static IP's to everything and putting my router in charge of assigning hostnames, my connection speeds between devices on my internal network were nearly-instant. I'm not sure how network-savvy you are, but if you or someone you know can set this up properly for you, it may solve your problem.

Also, if you want connected shared devices to show up on your desktop instead of in the "Shared" sidebar of Finder, all you have to do is go to Finder preferences and check the box labeled "Connected Servers" under the 'General' section.

Hope this helps,

OP
Ricky55
Reaction score
Not that network savvy but I do know alot about PC's and quite a lot about Macs.

Would I assign the IP address for each Mac in my router config and then use this in the network settings on each Mac?

Could you just tell me a bit more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
You would want to set it on each Mac in your network. Not on the router itself, although you might be able to set up reservations in DHCP on the router. However you'd probably have an easier time just setting it on each Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.