iPod Touch vs iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
Hey Guys. I am contemplating on getting an iPod Touch for my videos and such (obviously) but as I was looking through the features, design, etc, I noticed something.

The iPod Touch and the iPhone are alike in many ways. The only difference I really see is the price, and that you can make calls on the iPhone. Does anyone have input?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Do you need a phone? Get an iPhone.

Do you need just something to carry your media around? iPod Touch.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Yup. The difference is the phone thing. I like Eric's advise :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 7200RPM 200GB
Well, the iPhone also has a camera, microphone and speaker, if that comes into play at all. The most glaring difference is that you can get an iPod Touch without a contract :) Also, if you are buying a used one, you need to pay 10 bucks to upgrade to iPhone OS 2.0. If they charged you for this release, chances are they will continue to charge for further upgrades...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Also, if you are buying a used one, you need to pay 10 bucks to upgrade to iPhone OS 2.0. If they charged you for this release, chances are they will continue to charge for further upgrades...?

iPhone users are upgraded to 2.0 for free. iPod Touch users are the only ones who have to pay for the upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 7200RPM 200GB
iPhone users are upgraded to 2.0 for free. iPod Touch users are the only ones who have to pay for the upgrade.

Oh sorry, 100% true! :) "used one" is a little too vague, I suppose haha.

OP
Forum Shark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
Thanks, guys. I don't need a phone, I was just curious about the difference. So, as far as I understand, the difference is the camera, microphone, cost, a plan, and the phone feature, right?

To be honest, if I wanted a phone, I wouldn't get an iPhone. Don't get me wrong, I think they're cool, but it's WAY too expensive. Did you know, in Belgium, they pay the equivilent to about 900 American dollars? Along with the monthly fees!! I think that's outrageous when you can pay 400 dollars (just one payment) for almost the same thing.

(PS: If I had that kind of money, I would get an iPhone).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
They are basically the same.

The Touch (or iProd as I like to call it) lacks the phone features and GPS, but that's about it.

The Prod is also quite a lot thinner and lighter. The iPhone is nice, but the Prod is a nicer bit of kit aesthetically.

Reaction score
You can get a 32gb Touch for the price of a 16gb iPhone. I have almost 14 gb of stuff already on my 32gb, and I'm glad I didn't choose the iPhone.

Plus, here's the deal. A phone is an everyday device, which needs to be practical, sturdy, something that you wouldn't be worrying about getting scratched or dropped. An iPhone is too "cool" or "beautiful" for that, I mean, the screen is made of glass and it will crack if it falls, then, it's not very compact. To me, the answer is getting a good rubbery phone so I need nothing to worry about, like my Nextel phone, is simple, rubber all around and I've dropped it TONS of times, I've even driven nails in with it! A phone is a phone, you will put a lot of wear into it, and to me, 500 bucks are not made to be damaged. That's why a Touch seems more reasonable, because you will use it on a totally different basis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Thanks, guys. I don't need a phone, I was just curious about the difference. So, as far as I understand, the difference is the camera, microphone, cost, a plan, and the phone feature, right?

To be honest, if I wanted a phone, I wouldn't get an iPhone. Don't get me wrong, I think they're cool, but it's WAY too expensive. Did you know, in Belgium, they pay the equivilent to about 900 American dollars? Along with the monthly fees!! I think that's outrageous when you can pay 400 dollars (just one payment) for almost the same thing.

(PS: If I had that kind of money, I would get an iPhone).
The Belgians pay more because the phone isn't subsidized by their carrier. As a result the monthly plan should be cheaper.

Apart from the phone, camera and speaker thing, a few other points to consider:

The iPhone has volume controls on the side and the clicker on the headphone cord for play/pause/track skip. On the touch you'll need to wake the screen every time you want to adjust the volume or song. That alone is almost a deal-breaker for me.

Reaction score
You can get a 32gb Touch for the price of a 16gb iPhone. I have almost 14 gb of stuff already on my 32gb, and I'm glad I didn't choose the iPhone.

Plus, here's the deal. A phone is an everyday device, which needs to be practical, sturdy, something that you wouldn't be worrying about getting scratched or dropped. An iPhone is too "cool" or "beautiful" for that, I mean, the screen is made of glass and it will crack if it falls, then, it's not very compact. To me, the answer is getting a good rubbery phone so I need nothing to worry about, like my Nextel phone, is simple, rubber all around and I've dropped it TONS of times, I've even driven nails in with it! A phone is a phone, you will put a lot of wear into it, and to me, 500 bucks are not made to be damaged. That's why a Touch seems more reasonable, because you will use it on a totally different basis.

Its funny how different ppl look at things. I would never buy a touch simply because its one more thing to pack, and if I was willing to do that I would get the classic and have tons of storage. The beauty of the iphone is its ability to be a jack of all trades, so to speak. Its my phone, calendar and ipod all in one small package. You would be hard pressed to get me to go back to carrying a phone, ipod, and pda. I can attest to its sturdiness, mine goes with me everywhere every day all day long and it looks as good as the day I bought it which is coming up on a year now. Will I drive nails with it, no I have a hammer, and if I drop it I am not stressed either simply because for 30 bucks a year I got a rider on my insurance that covers it w/no deductible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
..........I am not stressed either simply because for 30 bucks a year I got a rider on my insurance that covers it w/no deductible.

If you don't mind me asking, who do you have your insurance through for your i-phone?

Reaction score
hey!! i have a few questions!!! On the Iphone, when you take pictured, is it possible to put them on the computer after? do we really have to pay mounthly? what if we dont use the phone?? im hesitating between the 32GB touch and the iphone..because of the camera...what do you suggest??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You still pay for the phone service wether you use it or not. As for pictures, yes. You can sync them to your computer or just e-mail them to yourself, whichever.

Reaction score
okay!! it just sucks you have to pay mounthly...thats the big reason why ill get a touch LOL!! or else i'd maybee go for the i phone.. the other reason is the price..now that de 2G has speakers and volume on the side...the only thign the iphone ahs is the camera and the phone...!

is it expensive the iphone mounthly thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
hey!! i have a few questions!!! On the Iphone, when you take pictured, is it possible to put them on the computer after? do we really have to pay mounthly? what if we dont use the phone?? im hesitating between the 32GB touch and the iphone..because of the camera...what do you suggest??

Sounds to me like you don't need a phone if you're worried whether you'll use it.

Reaction score
yeah...its my dad that was like well theres a camera.. but i dont think its usefull to pay 15$ per mounth + the phone calls when i allready have a cheap cell phone...but anyway!!

Reaction score
I was in this position - iPhone or iPod Touch…

Being in the UAE, my options were limited for the iPhone - shell out almost $800 for a hacked (unlocked) phone with no warranty and you cannot update the software, or go with the local phone company and pay too much for the monthly contract with a very small data package, as well as paying for the phone. Or, go with the iPod Touch.

I was keen on the phone - since its launch I have thought of it as an absolute genius pieve of kit - phone and iPod in one unit (camera does not bother me - I never use the camera on my mobile phones). Less to carry around etc. However, the iPhone for me at the moment is too pricy to justify; I get a company phone that does not cost me anything (simple, straight forward, nice small nokia that does the basics - all I need it to do). But I am looking for more functionality; e-mail on the move, internet, IM, calendar to synch (home and work) and a general update to my iPod Photo 60GB which I have had for around 4 years now.

I have gone with the iPod Touch - 32GB. Gives me what I was after plus a whole lot more, and the 2nd gen model seems to be a step closer to the iPhone from what I can see.

If I was in the UK and could pick up an iPhone for free on a contract, I would have gone for it for sure. But here, its just too much $$$, either with or without a contract.

If you can justify the expense, go iPhone and ditch your current mobile. If not, the iPod Touch is a more than worthy substitute IMHO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 1GB 667 MHz RAM, 2.16 Intel core duo 2, 120GB Hard Drive. Iphone 3G.
Do you guys in the states not have a PAYG option? In the UK, we dont have to pay monthly, we have the choice between a contract or PAYG. Im on PAYG and, yeah the phone was more expensive, £350, but I dont have to worry about how many texts or minutes i use a month.

To the OP, I am posting this from my iphone now. As some of the other guys have said, its great having your phone, PDA and ipod all in the same device, and after using it for 5 months, its now a necessity for me. Also, the extra little things that have come with the iphone and not the touch are great, such as the clicker on the headphones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.