Writing Music On GarageBand...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GS 512MB
Hi, i've recently made the switch to macs (and i gotta say im lovin it!!), but one thing that's got me stumped is GarageBand...Is it possible for me to write in music on the track without having to actually play it with my keyboard first? Its just that my Tascam US-122 doesnt seem to want to work with my iMac so i cant use any of my midi inputs and i'd prefer to write music in by hand rather than use the inbuilt 'musical typing'...i seem to have searched everywhere for how to do this but still no luck...can anyone shed some light on the situation (a few tips on how to get my US-122 working with my mac would be appreciated also!!)

Cheers!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
someone must be able to offer some advice...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well if you can read sheet music there is a way I think.

In GB near the bottom there is a few buttons. Click on the scissors like icon. And a bar like representation will be there for your music. But if you click on the music note icon at the bottom left of the screen, then there's a change. The bottom of the screen will change to sheet music and the notes of your music will appear. And you can edit and add/remove them to your hearts content. This will only work for software instruments though I think. I'm not so sure.

But I've only edit already made music through loops, software instruments etc. I've not created music from scratch this way. It should work though. But it'd take ages.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but is there a way to actually write music in there, without having to touch a keyboard, the onscreen keyboard or apple loops

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I've been fiddling around with Garageband now and I don't think what you're after can be done here. Cause I want to do the same thing really. Maybe Logic Pro or some other program can. Unfortunate I know.

Reaction score
Hey man, i think this can be done. I know that if you hold command after you record something you can just put music notes wherever. So here is the thing you do. Record for however you want and then if you really want to you can open up the staff(scissors then music note) and hold command and click whereever. You can edit the type of notes(quarter, half, ect.) anyways. Hope thing helps.
Good Luck!
Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah Ha!!!.....Cheers NM7856, thats exactly what i was looking for, lots of nice rep for you! ;D

Reaction score
tascam 122

I use a tascam 122 with my macbook on os 10.5.4 Check the tascam site to make sure you have the current driver for your machine. I downloaded the driver today. you will need to restart after you download. Next, in garageband preferences go to midi and choose the tascam for your input. You must have your computer plugged in to power if you are using a laptop.
Not sure if this helps but i can step you through recording as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook l Ipod nano 4gb l ipod classic 80 gb
is there a way to print the music that you write?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.