iPhone able to be used as wireless internet device for MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
I remember back in the day I was able to buy a cable that connected my Qualcomm cell phone to my laptop for wireless internet. Is there something out there for the iPhone 3G? I was looking at getting a PC/USB card but would like to avoid another "line" on my contract as well as the monthly fee since I'm already paying for unlimited data/internet on my iPhone plan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
This is what I can find about the 3G.

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
I found that, too. Not a big fan of the idea of messing up my contract or whatever the disclaimer said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Me neither, I'm not about to Jailbreak my phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I remember back in the day I was able to buy a cable that connected my Qualcomm cell phone to my laptop for wireless internet. Is there something out there for the iPhone 3G? I was looking at getting a PC/USB card but would like to avoid another "line" on my contract as well as the monthly fee since I'm already paying for unlimited data/internet on my iPhone plan.

Even if you can, using the phone this way is more than likely NOT covered on your unlimited data/internet plan. It is a separate charge to use the phone "tethered" as they call it. It is this way with the Blackberry plans and I don't see why it would be different with the iPhone plans, if they even offer it.****

****Without Jailbreaking your phone as you mentioned

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz MacBook Pro SR
It works and shows up as normal data. The problem is you will probably transfer A LOT more data tethering than normal iPhone browsing. It is when AT&T sees this large spike they start to ask questions. I used to tether with my Moto Q without paying for a Tethering plan and ran into zero problems. I wasnt transferring a TON of data though.

Jailbreaking is no big deal. I jailbroke my 3G just so I could SSH in and change the icons. I hate the stock icons.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.